Frames with real glass?

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a frame, ideally off the shelf, but most seem to have plastic glass. Are there any frames with real glass these days? Or is plastic glass now good enough?

The White Company do nice silver thinned with glass up to 10x8

I didn't think real glass was that rare. I got a couple the other day from B&M and they had glass in them -- I know this because I cracked one getting the back off :(

I think plastic became the norm for everything that is posted / ...able. Local frames should be able to give you options, and really you may want anti-reflective Museum type ones if you go to this length. Again this won't be ideal for posting and if that is the goal I would stick to the standard plastic option to save yourself some grief and hassle.

I think plastic became the norm for everything that is posted / ...able. Local frames should be able to give you options, and really you may want anti-reflective Museum type ones if you go to this length. Again this won't be ideal for posting and if that is the goal I would stick to the standard plastic option to save yourself some grief and hassle.
Modern acrylic (not styrene in the likes of IKEA Ribba [used to be glass] ) are available in grades of UV blocking and Anti-reflection.

I quite like clip frames for 18 by 12 and 16 by 12 prints
in the past I bought some direct from a company in Germany and the quality was excellent and they had real glass, unfortunately nowadays companies in Europe don’t like to ship to the UK
I bought some clip frames recently with plastic glass unfortunately I was disappointed the plastic sheet didn’t sit flat and looks rubbish

One of the great modern euphemisms and misnomers ...
Yes, the mis-description between "glass" & "glazing"......all too often seen as synonymous, where because of modern alternatives to glass the terms are clearly( ;) ) not!

Last edited:
A problem with clip frames (not that they're really frames at all), is that the clips can only accommodate a very thin, apertured mount - yet without the mount, the print will contact the glass and could stick to it irretrievably. So there's a kind of short-termism in that balancing act. Another is that dust gets in the edges (and gets embedded there).

Back