Is the offer still open?

Happy to purchase this as I need to start understanding lighting (6mo novice here) but hoping Garry is still around to send the PDF too if it's got the photos in it?

Happy to purchase this as I need to start understanding lighting (6mo novice here) but hoping Garry is still around to send the PDF too if it's got the photos in it?
It's free to members who have at least 100 posts, so as you're new here you'll need to buy it.
But, once you've done that and left a review on Amazon I'll be happy to send you the pdf version, which I feel is much more convenient than the Kindle version.

It's free to members who have at least 100 posts, so as you're new here you'll need to buy it.
But, once you've done that and left a review on Amazon I'll be happy to send you the pdf version, which I feel is much more convenient than the Kindle version.
Oh absolutely, wasn't intending to ask for free, but from what you said it sounded like the kindle version suffered somewhat. Thank you :).

Oh absolutely, wasn't intending to ask for free, but from what you said it sounded like the kindle version suffered somewhat. Thank you :).
That's right. Amazon offer choices, Kindle which is cheap but which is far from perfect for photos, and paperback, which is fine but very expensive. I'd like them to offer pdf but they don't. They also now offer a third option, hardback, but that costs even more.

It's because of the inadequacy of Kindle that I send a free pdf version to any buyer who asks for it, once they have left a review on Amazon.
I have kindle unlimited, if I get it using that do you still get paid?
I think that we get a fraction of a penny. In theory, they offer a fair price but they then deduct the "delivery cost" from that.

That's right. Amazon offer choices, Kindle which is cheap but which is far from perfect for photos, and paperback, which is fine but very expensive. I'd like them to offer pdf but they don't. They also now offer a third option, hardback, but that costs even more.

It's because of the inadequacy of Kindle that I send a free pdf version to any buyer who asks for it, once they have left a review on Amazon.

I think that we get a fraction of a penny. In theory, they offer a fair price but they then deduct the "delivery cost" from that.
No worries, I'll buy it normally then, thank you.

Hi @Garry Edwards could I please get a copy of the pdf? Being a horsey couple ourselves, I am more than happy to make a donation to the charity - sadly none of the current horses/ponies would be suitable for us to re-home but I'll be keeping an eye on the site now, as we are looking for a 13-15 hander for light schooling and hacking and natural horsemanship groundwork.

@Garry Edwards please Could I have a PDF download as I prefer to read on my iPad. I have sent you a PM on the forum with my email address.
I will leave an Amazon review as soon as I have read.
Thanks.

As per the title, this is my new e-book, Lighting Magic.

Copies are available free to TP members

You’ve guessed it, it’s about using and creating light. The book, which runs for 263 A4 pages (or a lot more Kindle pages), has been created mainly by me and with valuable contributions from other photographers, including @Michael Sewell and @Scooter, both of whom are members here.

Years ago, I created a whole series of e-books on lighting and they sold like hot cakes, but then the Internet changed things and people stopped buying information, believing that they could get everything they needed for free. That isn’t true of course, we all know that although there is some good stuff out there on the net, most of the free tutorials and videos are either deliberately deceptive and misleading rubbish designed to sell overpriced junk lighting accessories via “celebrity photographers” many of whom are best known for their selling skills, or are teasers designed to sell expensive video training courses.

In my own small way I’m trying to fight back against this by producing something based on real knowledge, real experience and real – i.e. not Photoshop faked - lighting. With luck, this book will be around for years after I’ve gone, and will provide a useful resource to new generations of photographers. Photography has been very good to me, it’s time to give something back.

Lighting Magic has just gone on sale on Amazon, priced at £4.99. All proceeds are going to All For Horses, www.allforhorses.org.uk a small horse rescue and re-homing charity that I support. I spend a lot of time volunteering there, doing mainly labouring and driving jobs, hopefully the income from the book will carry on being useful when I no longer am.

Regardless of whether it’s any good or not, Lighting Magic has to compete with a lot of other e-books on Amazon and it will only sell if we can get it right up there in the visibility list, and the best way of doing that is for a lot of people to post helpful, detailed reviews about it on Amazon.

Which is where we need your help – please read the book, and then help us to make it more visible on Amazon by writing as detailed and as useful a review as you can. Obviously it will help a lot if your review is positive but all reviews help.
This is the Amazon buying page, and you'll see where to click to post your review

This offer will end at 12 noon on Sunday 30th December - I feel that this gives plenty of time for active members of this forum to have requested a copy.

However, I will be at the farm from Monday 17th December and don't plan to return until Saturday 29th December, and because I'll be busy there and because the internet there is very poor (on a good day) I won't be able to respond to these requests until I'm back - don't think that you've been forgotten.

I will start work on editing the 2nd edition in the new year, and a copy of the new version will be then be sent to everyone who has left a review on Amazon. As the whole point of giving away the free copies is to gain Amazon reviews in return, I don't think that it is unreasonable to restrict copies of the latest version to those people who have helped in this way.

Please drop me a PM with your email address and I'll email it to you.

And finally, my thanks to @Marcel for his permission to start this thread.
Hi Garry, i am trying to learn as much as i can about lighting in photography and macro lighting and need all the help i can get. I am looking forward to reading your book and the price of a review on Amazon sounds like a bargain not to be missed. Many thanks Artistry.
My email is PM Garry don't post personal details openly :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Garry, i am trying to learn as much as i can about lighting in photography and macro lighting and need all the help i can get. I am looking forward to reading your book and the price of a review on Amazon sounds like a bargain not to be missed. Many thanks Artistry.
My email is PM Garry don't post personal details openly :)
Sadly, neither of the two books in this thread are available FOC to new members with less than 100 posts, as stated earlier.
The reason for this is that the vast majority of new members failed to post a review and didn't keep to their side of the deal.

Sadly, neither of the two books in this thread are available FOC to new members with less than 100 posts, as stated earlier.
The reason for this is that the vast majority of new members failed to post a review and didn't keep to their side of the deal.
Hi Garry, that is understandable, thank you anyway.

Its available on Amazon, I got mine for £29.99 also available on Kindle for £4.99, both worth the price for the content you get.
Thanks. The paperback version at £29.99 is expensive, not my choice though, Amazon charges make that price necessary.
The Kindle version isn't ideal but is cheap, and people who buy it and then leave a review then get a pdf version, which is more user-friendly, as soon as they have told me that the review has been published.

Back