Free video editing software?

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
Any decent free editors worth downloading? I have never used anything but iMovie so looking for something for windows.

Just for basic editing really. Adding some clips together, add fade etc. add music, add text, maybe tweak effects.

Davinci Resolve seems popular, just wondering how complex it is. Only ever used photoshop, lightroom, in design etc.

DaVinci Resolve or VSDC

Thanks. Will look at both. Know which one has more easy to use interface for basic editing? My wife also want to use the same software and not looking to anything too complicated.

Hopefully they are both easy enough to understand the basics

Which format are you using for videoing ie MOV-MP4 or AVCHD. I only ask as with MOV format I use Wondershare Filmore or Movavi Video editor plus 2022 version. Ffor MP4- AVCHD I can get away with Adobe premier elements but it doesn't accept MOV format. Hardly ever use VCL media player as it is too basic or I am not used to using it
JJ
As you are in Sussex I am also in East Sussex not far from Bexhill. so if you want to PM me and try out my editing suits first. If your computer has a CD player I can give you an earlier copy of Premier elements14 for windows or Mac. If you don't have a CD playerr o your computer there is another way to do it;)

Last edited:
Which format are you using for videoing ie MOV-MP4 or AVCHD. I only ask as with MOV format I use Wondershare Filmore or Movavi Video editor plus 2022 version. Ffor MP4- AVCHD I can get away with Adobe premier elements but it doesn't accept MOV format. Hardly ever use VCL media player as it is too basic or I am not used to using it
JJ
As you are in Sussex I am also in East Sussex not far from Bexhill. so if you want to PM me and try out my editing suits first. If your computer has a CD player I can give you an earlier copy of Premier elements14 for windows or Mac. If you don't have a CD playerr o your computer there is another way to do it;)

Think a mix. The misses will be editing some videos from her iPhone and me from my Sony A9.

As mentioned it’s just the basics needed. Putting a few vids together and fading between, adding music and text.

Not a huge lot more than that.

Last edited:
Thanks. Will look at both. Know which one has more easy to use interface for basic editing? My wife also want to use the same software and not looking to anything too complicated.

Hopefully they are both easy enough to understand the basics
Davinci looks a bit daunting to start with but if you just click edit at the bottom it's pretty easy to just drag clips on, resize them, add transitions etc. then go to the deliver tab to export them. Resolve is widely used so if there's many guides and help videos out there to support you.

Get Resolve, yes there is a steepish learning curve to get the best out of it, but to create a simple video you can have it worked out in an evening. If you get some basic instant editing package like some of those suggested at some point you will outgrow them, as you get more into your videos you'll always find those other programs lacking and the time you have spent learning them will be wasted time. You'll never outgrow Resolve.

I've used Clipchamp pretty effectively for some relatively simple stuff. You have to pay to export in 4k, but it's free otherwise.

If you use windows then Microsoft Movie maker is a free, very easy to use basic video editing program - I'd never done this sort of thing before and it only took me a few minutes to make what I wanted which was little more than a slideshow.
Might not be able to do all you want but could be worth a look.

JJ

Sorry to butt in on this with a question rather than advice, but relative to this reply, I take MP4 video on a cam corder of a one hour exercise lesson and I would like to cut out the inevitable standing around and talking and concentrate on the insruction. So simply a cut and delete exercise to reduce the length of the video. . Would either of the Filmore or Movavi editors be good for this and, if so, the easiset to use for my purpose?

Back