FREELANCERS- How do you organise shooting games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markiemc13

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wandering, how do you organise photographing a game?

And then manage to sell the images afterwards :puke:
Sounds like hard work.

Most freelance sports shooters work with a photo agency.... The agency will organise the accreditations necessary to get access to the event, and they also take care of selling the photos.... It often isn't afterwards they sell either, but during the game, which is why you usually need to be prepared to be sending fully edited and captioned images to your agencies picture desk during the game. The staff photographers working for massive photo agencies typically have images of big moments in games sent within just a couple of minutes of the action occurring.

Of course the agency takes a hefty cut of any images sold (typically 40-50% unless you are VERY good and well known so can negotiate a better percentage). Also, usually the small agencies that the majority of sports togs work for wont even pay your expenses so if you have to drive a long way to a game and pay for fuel and parking you really need sales just to break even, and if you at a game that is covered by big agencies sales are actually quite unlikely unless you get a standout shot that nobody else has that tells the story of the game.

It's a hard old life! The very best get great at getting the right shots sent to their agency quickly, may get regular sales, and will build a big portfolio of published work. They can then approach big agencies (Getty, Reuters (Action Images), AFP, AP, etc) and try and work freelance with them. They usually will pay transport costs and its only then you can really even think of making your sole living from sports photography. The very best in the world may end up being offered staff positions with a big agency, or with a newspaper or magazine, but staffers are a dying breed.

In fact read this from jamesb84 stolen from another thread... Much better account. he's a tog who has now got with a larger agency and is a full time sports tog (i think?!)

I started out with sports photography 6 years ago now, nearly to the day. In that time, I've invested a lot of time and money into what first started as a bit of extra cash to stretch the student loan a bit further.

It wasn't particularly good at doing that, there's such fierce competition at the top level, and lower down it's very difficult to get anyone interested (I know Kipax has managed remarkably well with lower league stuff - but it's definitely not easy or for the faint hearted).

For starters, you need to be absolutely 100% confident of being able to get the picture. Not just any old picture, the picture that tells a story. You get good at that, then you might stand a chance of getting some sales or a %-split deal with a small agency.

Sounds great doesn't it?! It's not...I worked for a small agency, and when you're in the mix with everyone else, including the huge agencies, then you have to be very lucky to get a usage...so you've probably driven 100miles round trip and sat in the freezing cold for 90mins to come away with precisely £0.00

Even if you do manage to make a sale, the prices paid by newspapers are pitiful these days...after your 60/40 or 50/50 split, you'll probably see £30 per image. That would require 9 images per week just to make you £270, then factor in all the costs required to be a working tog (petrol, mobile phone contracts, professional body membership, parking costs etc etc) you'd need to be selling at least 12 images a week at your £30 per image.

Having been in the same situation, I can tell you now...that will not happen. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it just wont.

After my attempts to make any money from this, I got so thoroughly fed up that I started approaching bigger agencies for work...the shift fees started out pretty bad. Again, you'd have to do at least 4 games a week to make your desired money...which again, will not happen. You also have to remember that not everyone gets a chance with a bigger agency. You need to have something to offer that no-one else can (ie. you live/work in an area that no-one else covers - such as me in Wales/South West)...you also need to be damn good at getting good photos consistently and quickly (ie. within 3 minutes for a goal, those photos should be on your agency servers). The guys who work for the big guys are the best sports photographers in the world...so competition is again, huge and fierce.

It's taken me 6 years to get to work with an agency that pays me respectable shift fees and expenses and offers me enough jobs that I can survive. I could almost give up doing any other photography work and concentrate solely on sport...if I was a "weekend warrior" like Andy, I could only now think about going full-time. That's after 6 years and a lot of money invested...much more than £12K i'm afraid.

Sorry if this comes off as a crushing blow to you...but it is very tough to survive in the sports world...there's a lot of guys out there who'll happily devalue the industry by working for peanuts, or conversely have so much control of the industry that no-one else can really survive.

All that aside, there are plenty of people on here who have shown that with time, money and a lot of effort and sacrifice you can (eventually) make it.

They can then approach big agencies (Getty, Reuters (Action Images), AFP, AP, etc) and try and work freelance with them. They usually will pay transport costs and its only then you can really even think of making your sole living from sports photography.

aaaaargh sorry but that really winds me up ...

There are other ways to make a living as a full time sports photographer without going anywhere near an agency..

I freelance for local papers doing sports but am not staff and only really cover sports so its limiting what they can offer... I also work for sports colleges, sports tour operator and in summer ...event companies... Also and what may answer the OP .. I look for games I can attend midweek.. contact the papers who cover those games and ask if they need coverage..if yes then i go do the job for them... On top of all that I have a steady flow of print sales from my website.. I also get commisioned out of the blue for various jobs.. EG: indoor roller hockey last week wihtt he team paying for pics..

Its all sports.. theres no agencies and I am full time.. I work hard finding the work and building up contacts.. Anyone can do it IF they are prepared to put th effort in..

aaaaargh sorry but that really winds me up ...

There are other ways to make a living as a full time sports photographer without going anywhere near an agency..

I freelance for local papers doing sports but am not staff and only really cover sports so its limiting what they can offer... I also work for sports colleges, sports tour operator and in summer ...event companies... Also and what may answer the OP .. I look for games I can attend midweek.. contact the papers who cover those games and ask if they need coverage..if yes then i go do the job for them... On top of all that I have a steady flow of print sales from my website.. I also get commisioned out of the blue for various jobs.. EG: indoor roller hockey last week wihtt he team paying for pics..

Its all sports.. theres no agencies and I am full time.. I work hard finding the work and building up contacts.. Anyone can do it IF they are prepared to put th effort in..

How long has it taken you to get to that sort of level Tony ?

Sounds like hard work.

I would have thought after bending the ears of some of the UK and Worlds best sports photographers for the past 6 months you would be well aware of what is required :shrug:

How long has it taken you to get to that sort of level Tony ?

years... a long time....but that doesnt change anything.. still possible if time and effort put in...

Sounds like hard work.

This is a very strange question. You sent me a PM a couple of weeks ago saying that you do work for Getty Images - surely they organise it for you and you send your pictures to them? :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back