Critique Freshwater Bay

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
So I accidentally purchased a 10-20mm Lens (GAS) and tried a landscape shot - 10mm f5.6 1/640 iso150 HH
Q Tripod and longer exposure, smaller aperture (DOF)
Q ND Filter to improve sky and reduce flare from Sun
Thanks for Looking ...
CLFreshwater Bay 2.jpg

What made you choose the exposure stated? You could have gone for f/8!

I see no flare!

You don't need more stuff!

The main issue is the composition. The leaning sign & shelter are one thing, but with your existing framing you'd have needed a stepladder to get on a level with them. The alternative is a software solution. Overall though and most importantly, the whole scene is quite active with content, and the viewer's eye has nowhere in particular to rest, since nothing seems any more important than anything else in the frame. Not that rest is essential, but neither does the image encourage the eye to enter and engage with the content in a particular direction. Overall, the effect is something like that of a typical postcard or Alamy stock photograph. Not highly thought through.

Last edited:
Pretty much what @droj says! Remember that just because you have 10mm, doesn't mean you always have to use it. You certainly don't need to "improve the sky" because it's the best part of the image. Something like a 16:8 crop losing everything from the bottom may work to improve it slightly, losing the messy footprints in the sand etc....watch your horizon as well as your verticals too, it's ever so slightly out....

Attachments

• CLFreshwater Bay 2.jpg
    CLFreshwater Bay 2.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 2
Thankyou for your comments, plenty to think about. Back story is that I was asked to take some photographs for a local Estate Agent, which I respectfully declined. However, it got me interested in a wide angle lens and one was available at a good price. I will certainly spent more time selecting my scene next time around. Here is another from today... sky is not so interesting but the old tree was intriguing (to me anyway)... thanks again for taking your time to comment.

CL Lakeside Edited.jpg

So I accidentally purchased a 10-20mm Lens (GAS) and tried a landscape shot - 10mm f5.6 1/640 iso150 HH
Q Tripod and longer exposure, smaller aperture (DOF)
Q ND Filter to improve sky and reduce flare from Sun
Thanks for Looking ...
View attachment 342547
This location wherever it may be seems to tell me that I have trod those muddy shores . Whilst visiting the UK in 1990 I am certain I saw a very derogatory comment of what could be donewith the ''Poll Tax', painted on the wall of that shelter .................may be I'm wrong .Other wise I like the shot!

Last edited:
Back