Friends Bentley Continental GT

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
A friend asked me to photograph his car outside his home.

Never really shot cars before. Heres my 1st attempt:

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/307/22069566.jpg

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shot and a lovely car and house.

Some tips you may note down for future use, with car shots many people tend to take shots low or very low down to the ground. Again this is only personal taste, but I have seen many shots done this way.

And if you have access to the car at night time the use of light painting is becoming more popular

Did you get any shots of the car from the front? To me this looks more like a well taken snap shot as you just happened across a nice expensive car.

I think the better car shots are taken from the front with the wheels turned to show the hub caps facing the camera.

Setting and comp are pretty sound but I can't shake the feeling that converting to mono has done a bit of a recovery job. What colour's the car - care to post the colour version?

Nice shot and a lovely car and house.

Some tips you may note down for future use, with car shots many people tend to take shots low or very low down to the ground. Again this is only personal taste, but I have seen many shots done this way.

True but it's horses for courses and I think this is an appropriate angle for this car.

And if you have access to the car at night time the use of light painting is becoming more popular

The background adds a lot to this shot that I think you'd struggle to capture if you were lightpainting. But in another setting, and depending on the car's colour, lightpainting could work.

I've never took pics of cars but after seeing what others do on here i reckon you've done a reasonable job for a first time , but i'd also view it has a missed opportunity , i reckon if it were me i'd be back there and try and plan some shots because theres a great car and backdrop waiting to be used a little more creatively

hope this doesnt come across as harsh because i think you've done ok but i reckon theres real potential for a great shot or two

True but it's horses for courses and I think this is an appropriate angle for this car.

The background adds a lot to this shot that I think you'd struggle to capture if you were lightpainting. But in another setting, and depending on the car's colour, lightpainting could work.

Completely agree with what you have said, I was merely pointing out some other situations where he could have photographed the car. I agree also that the car is suited well in it's location. expensive car, expensive house, so where's the young lady? :p

I think the better car shots are taken from the front with the wheels turned to show the hub caps facing the camera.

Whoa there. If you're shooting a car from the front, for sure turn the wheels so they face the camera but that doesn't mean avoid shooting cars from the rear.

Sorry, bit of a snapshot in a great location for me. Would prefer the car over to the left so it has space to drive in to.......not sure B&W adds much either really.

(sory but you did ask)!!

The shot I wanted was him stood in the Doorway on way out the house in Smart dress.

However, it a spur of the moment thing and not planned. I can post the colour images, its not been changed to B&W as a recovery job, I just thought it worked well in mono.

Thanks for all the comments Guys.

Nice to see the colour version too, which is better in my opinion, however, I would have the car backed out towards the camera more to give more depth and then the car would be slightly more foreground, then right hand down on the wheel.

nice pic - number plate is illegal though - or did you photoshop it to hide the Identity?

Too many distractions in the colour vsn IMO, esp with a neutral coloured car. Mono helps focus attention on the Bentley. A stronger comp, as suggested below, would have sorted this.

The other thing emphasised by the colour version is the dynamic range across the car; below the shoulderline the exposure's pretty good but above, and esp on the C pillar, there's too much light

Nice to see the colour version too, which is better in my opinion, however, I would have the car backed out towards the camera more to give more depth and then the car would be slightly more foreground, then right hand down on the wheel.

Well thought through, I think I'd leave the wheel straight though.

Well thought through, I think I'd leave the wheel straight though.

I say turn the wheel to give the impression the car is swinging past the camera and also turning into or out of (depending how you look at it) the image. just to nudge the front of the car away from the house too... so the car is not on the same plane as the house is to the camera..

Another thought....

Flash or lighting would make the car pop out more too.. To cover what Andrew said above.. I like the colour version in some ways.. but agree the B&W version has more 'pop'.

Last edited:
lol - I actually should update my comment - as I had a grumble the other day about "nice shot" comments.

To me the B&W works a lot better as less distractions.......... though wonder if it may benefit more from boosting the contrast up and a curves adjustment to emphasise the highlights.....

Looks a posh pad as well!

Thanks for the comments Guys. Much appreciated.

Linton feel free to post the adjusted image you sent me.
See what the others think.

ok then

Bentley.jpg

Thanks for the comments Guys. Much appreciated.

Linton feel free to post the adjusted image you sent me.
See what the others think.

Sorry Lynton, just spotted my error in spelling your name.

You right about the pad, it's somthing else.
However for £8k per month it would have to be!!

Back