FTP client

S

Steve

I am on the lookout for a good quality, bug free, secure and FREE FTP client.

So quite simply what are you using, and what would you recommend? :)

Sorry Steve can't help you there. I use Plusnet - it's excellent but it comes with the broadband.

regards

Um, I use Windows XP.

Add Network place, and type in details, or, type the following into web browser:

ftp://<username>@<ftp://ftp address>

it will then prompt you for a password and you can drag/drop files, as you would into any other folder.

Sometimes use SmartFTP, too. Its free.

I used a freebie for a while called Coffee Cup? Very basic but nice and simple.

I use WS-FTP Pro by Ipswitch.
I think they do a home version but not sure wether it's still free.

It needs to be secure as it will be used to transfer files to and from a large companies website so that rules out windows ;)

I looked at ws-ftp and they do a pro version and a home version too but neither are free. :(

I have tried smart ftp but found it really awful to work with, it is slow and clumsey plus it doesn't seem to remember the positions of the windows and choses to open them in the default locations which is not were they are needed for me.

Just looking at cute ftp now but if anyone has any other suggestions... :)

Filezilla dude, its the best and the free-est!

Have a look at SmartFTP www.smartftp.com I've been using it for years and can't fault it, it's free though you can buy it if you want.

i use flashFXP. simple and easy to use, has a 30 day fully func trial and is very cheap to buy if you like it, $15 i think?

FlashFXP I've never used anything that comes close to it

smartftp, and another that i cant remember, lololol

Cheers for all the suggestions :) I am currently giving FlashFXP a go and it seems great.

I use smartftp. I don't do a massive amount of alterations to my webby and I find it easy to use now I've worked it out (took me a couple of weeks though!)

It's slow for me but that's mainly due to the fact my line is adsl as opposed to sdsl, so my downstream s 2Mb but upwards it's only 256K!

I use firezilla, great open source ftp client. Supports sftp

ftp surfer for me, cant remember if it was free or not, but its a no nonsense proggy, does what its meant to, no fancy stuff and ive had it on 3 years now and not a bit of problem with it.

Back