Fuji and/or Nikon

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Would appreciate your thoughts as to what you would do.... I’ve got a Fuji XT20 which I’ve invested a great deal of time in learning, setting all the shortcuts, knowing how best to work it (you know what I mean). I’ve had it for about a year or so.

At Christmas I got a Nikon D7500 (long story but can regard it as an upgrade to an old D90 I’ve had for ten years).

My dilemma is this - I’ve spent so much time learning how best to use the Fuji that I cannot quite being myself to invest a similar amount of time in the Nikon. I’m an amateur/enthusiast photographer with a day job and a family so my photo time is limited in many ways.

My husband says the Nikon is a super camera (possibly better than the Fuji) and I should invest time in it and keep it. My thinking is I might be better off selling it whilst it still has good value and if I want a second camera I would buy the Fuji XT3 (slightly larger body compared to XT20 which I like for bigger lenses and weather sealing).

I’m also struggling to see the benefit with a DSLR and an optical viewfinder now that I’ve learnt to use the EVF ‘what you see is what you get’ on the Fuji. Honestly, can you tell me what the advantages are and why they would sway me to keep the Nikon?

In terms of lenses, if that’s a relevant consideration - I have Fuji’s 18-55, 55-200 and 27mm (don’t like the latter all that much). I have Nikon’s 18-140 and 35mm. For either of the two systems I’d love to buy a wide angle lens next.

As to what I like to shoot - family shots (need fast autofocus for running kids and dogs), landscapes and seascapes, a little bit of insects and flowers.

Thanks in advance!

Does your husband also use the cameras a lot? what is he basing his opinion that the Nikon is better upon? They're about on-par I would say. The XT3 sounds ideal, you prefer the Fuji system, you know the ins and outs of it and seem much more comfortable with it than your Nikon.

I'm not going to suggest what you should do, a lot of it boils down to personal preference, but just going on what I would do myself: Sell on the Nikon gear and 27mm Fuji [maybe the 18-55 too], keep the XT20 and 55-200 - Get an XT3 with the battery grip and 10-24 F4 and a nice prime like the 35 F2 [which is weather sealed, as is the XT3]

The only thing stopping you it seems is that your husband prefers the Nikon - maybe he bought it for you? Maybe he also uses it a lot? You could just pass that on to him and trade the XT20 and 27mm in against an XT3 but I'm not sure what kind of value you'd get

Thank you Cagey, your advice is much appreciated - I will give some thought to trading in/up as you suggest.

What are your views on whether an optical viewfinder makes it worth keeping a DSLR? I just don’t ‘get’ what the advantage is.

Hi all,

Would appreciate your thoughts as to what you would do.... I’ve got a Fuji XT20 which I’ve invested a great deal of time in learning, setting all the shortcuts, knowing how best to work it (you know what I mean). I’ve had it for about a year or so.

At Christmas I got a Nikon D7500 (long story but can regard it as an upgrade to an old D90 I’ve had for ten years).

My dilemma is this - I’ve spent so much time learning how best to use the Fuji that I cannot quite being myself to invest a similar amount of time in the Nikon. I’m an amateur/enthusiast photographer with a day job and a family so my photo time is limited in many ways.

My husband says the Nikon is a super camera (possibly better than the Fuji) and I should invest time in it and keep it. My thinking is I might be better off selling it whilst it still has good value and if I want a second camera I would buy the Fuji XT3 (slightly larger body compared to XT20 which I like for bigger lenses and weather sealing).

I’m also struggling to see the benefit with a DSLR and an optical viewfinder now that I’ve learnt to use the EVF ‘what you see is what you get’ on the Fuji. Honestly, can you tell me what the advantages are and why they would sway me to keep the Nikon?

In terms of lenses, if that’s a relevant consideration - I have Fuji’s 18-55, 55-200 and 27mm (don’t like the latter all that much). I have Nikon’s 18-140 and 35mm. For either of the two systems I’d love to buy a wide angle lens next.

As to what I like to shoot - family shots (need fast autofocus for running kids and dogs), landscapes and seascapes, a little bit of insects and flowers.

Thanks in advance!
The best camera is the one that your prefer to use, if you don't like using a camera you won't go out and take pictures. There's very little to choose between different formats (micro 4/3, APS-C and Full Frame) let alone comparing two of the same format (if you're not already aware both the Fuji system and the D7500 are APS-C), and so it purely comes down to personal preference, ie which you prefer using, which has the functions you want, which has nicer colours (to your eyes). As for the upgrade to the XT3 you won't notice a difference in image quality, but ergonomics, weather sealing, autofocus, functions etc could make it a worthwhile investment.

As to EVF vs OVF it's purely preference again. There's no doubt that EVF's have a lot of trump cards over OVF's in terms of being able to show you what your exposure will look like, peaking, magnification etc etc, however some do prefer looking through optics rather than looking at a small screen. Also, even the best of the best EVF's have a tiny lag which 'may' affect some people when panning.

I personally prefer the view through an OVF BUT the benefits of an EVF outweigh this for me now, especially with the latest generation of EVFs which have great clarity and detail.

If you are happy with the camera and make you already are used to then why change. The only reason I can think of is getting used to another make and then do a comparison between the two. Not only compare the two photographic wise but also the features that each offers. Then decide which you prefer

The range of lenses might be an influence on choice as well

Last edited:
With both cameras being APS-C sized sensors, I'd personally invest in Fujifilm. The EVF is so much better for most shooting conditions and it also means smaller cameras which is perfect for long days out / traveling. I've actually listened my XT3's for sale in sale section on here as I'm moving to full frame but having had fuji for 18 months, it's an amazing system and amazing value for money! If I was sticking with APS-C cameras, it would be Fujifilm 100%! Shot close to 100 weddings on Fuji now and they've caught me so much.

If you are happy with the camera and make you already are used to then why change. The only reason I can think of is getting used to another make and then do a comparison between the two. Not only compare the two photographic wise but also the features that each offers. Then decide which you prefer

The range of lenses might be an influence on choice as well

It's a bit small and not weather sealed, OP states this in the first post. They're not looking to switch, but upgrade the camera they actually prefer.

Thank you Cagey, your advice is much appreciated - I will give some thought to trading in/up as you suggest.

What are your views on whether an optical viewfinder makes it worth keeping a DSLR? I just don’t ‘get’ what the advantage is.

I used Dslr with OVF for years, and when evf started to get more popular I thought they stunk a bit tbh - laggy, low res, black out when shooting etc ... but nowadays evf are so good, I couldn't bear to return to an OVF, I see zero advantage to them either. Even the average quality evf are a joy to use. I was using a Panasonic G80 for the past year and a half or so, and thought the evf was excellent - plenty good enough for me to see clearly how the images or video would turn out - recently got a Fuji XH1 and the evf in that blows the one in the G80 away! Now I'm looking at the G80 thinking, man, wish your evf was better :D we do get spoiled with improvements in tech. But once you've tried better, why go back? The XT3 evf will blow the one in your XT20 away - so only try it out if you're ready to make the trade! :D

I've used both EVF & OVF.

IMO an optical viewfinder on a crop camera tends to be small and dim, and a disadvantage if shooting with something like that 18-135 under anything but bright conditions - OTOH an OVF on a full frame camera with a fast lens (not your option I appreciate) is a joy to use, providing a more detailed view of the image than I have yet seen from an EVF.

However an EVF, as well as giving a reasonable degree of WYSIWYG, works really well for a crop camera and also allows handling and focussing with 10 stop filters or in very dark environments. The biggest weakness is that they tend to be poor in very strong sunlight, and don't always really show how well the camera is coping with very bright or very dark parts of the image.

In your situation I'd probably stay Fuji & flog the Nikon.

Thanks everyone!
Interesting what you say, ancient mariner, about an OVF being good on FF but not crop.
And valentine, why are you switching away from Fuji to FF? Are you staying mirrorless for FF or going DSLR?
It’s interesting to hear everyone’s experience and views. And yes I agree it’s about what camera you get on with that matters. But that’s sort of my dilemma. I get on with my Fuji because I’ve invested a lot of time in learning how to work it. Question is should I invest a similar amount of time in getting to know the Nikon D7500? Would it be worth the effort?

Thanks everyone!
Interesting what you say, ancient mariner, about an OVF being good on FF but not crop.
And valentine, why are you switching away from Fuji to FF? Are you staying mirrorless for FF or going DSLR?
It’s interesting to hear everyone’s experience and views. And yes I agree it’s about what camera you get on with that matters. But that’s sort of my dilemma. I get on with my Fuji because I’ve invested a lot of time in learning how to work it. Question is should I invest a similar amount of time in getting to know the Nikon D7500? Would it be worth the effort?

I'm staying mirrorless but moving full frame for the extra light and the look I get with wider lenses. I've just bought the Sony A9... couldn't go back to a DSLR now, mirrorless is the future, you unlock more features when you remove the mirrorbox. Nothing wrong with a DSLR but I think companies will be putting all their focus into mirrorless real soon.

Question is should I invest a similar amount of time in getting to know the Nikon D7500? Would it be worth the effort?

What does your fuji not do that you want?

*Personally* I can't see a reason for running the 2 systems UNLESS each have advantages over the other (better AF, better raw files & dynamic range from the Nikon, lower weight, EVF, better lenses from the fuji?).

My brother has a D5500 & 18-140 like yours - I hated the tiny, dim viewfinder compared to the EVF on my Sony A58.

I shot for the last 3 years with a D610 (OVF) then bought a Sony A7III* (EVF) about 5 or 6 weeks ago, and in many ways preferred the Nikon in terms of handling, OVF clarity and display of key information like aperture & shutterspeed on the top LCD. At the same time, when I used 10 stop ND filters the Nikon was a PITA, AF wasn't usable in low light and the Sony nails subject's eyes nearly every time and I love the flip-out rear screen. I changed camera systems specifically BECAUSE I can't get close to the ground easily & a flip out screen makes a huge difference, plus The Sony AF is better than anything Nikon currently have and I also wanted lower weight compared to a D810/850.

*The camera I should have bought was the A99II, but they're still ~£2k used.

Last edited:
Go with what feels right for yourself. I just swapped from Nikon to Fuji X-t3, after a great deal of thought and comparisons. You are part way there with both systems, but mirrorless is new, and now getting really top class results. Also think about the weight you sae carrying around, that was the driving factor for me.
The better Nikon lenses generally are heavier.

Back