Fuji Kit Bag Ideas (blankish canvas)

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

I'm moving from canon 5d2/1d3, 3x 2.8L zooms and a couplea primes. I've run my XT3 and 23/2 for a few months now and I'm happy with the switch, enjoying carrying around smaller lighter kit.

I'm working to make the shift cost neutral ish so I'd like to keep the rest under 2 grand(ish)

Do I go for the 14mm Fuji f2 or the 12mm Sangyang. I like the wider angle (used to 17mm on FF) and I'm open to manual focus for mostly landscape work + cheaper. I'd like a small light wide angle (preferably fast)

Do I go for the 50/2 and 35/2 OR the 16-80/4 IS. I like light fast primes and that was my original plan, but I do some studio work and the flexibility is nice.

Does anyone own a 90/2 and is it as gorgeous as I think it will be? I always wanted a 135L and my 70-200/2.8L was heavily used and unless I pony up for a 50-140 (which goes against the small/light/cheap plan)

Do I get another XT3 (I really like it) or save some money and get an XT2 (the AF sounds worse and that was frustrating with the 5d2). There is also an XT30 but its even smaller and I find the XT3 comfier with the arca plate and front grip. Anyone own a combination have thoughts?

Hi Guys,

I'm moving from canon 5d2/1d3, 3x 2.8L zooms and a couplea primes. I've run my XT3 and 23/2 for a few months now and I'm happy with the switch, enjoying carrying around smaller lighter kit.

I'm working to make the shift cost neutral ish so I'd like to keep the rest under 2 grand(ish)

Do I go for the 14mm Fuji f2 or the 12mm Sangyang. I like the wider angle (used to 17mm on FF) and I'm open to manual focus for mostly landscape work + cheaper. I'd like a small light wide angle (preferably fast)

Do I go for the 50/2 and 35/2 OR the 16-80/4 IS. I like light fast primes and that was my original plan, but I do some studio work and the flexibility is nice.

Does anyone own a 90/2 and is it as gorgeous as I think it will be? I always wanted a 135L and my 70-200/2.8L was heavily used and unless I pony up for a 50-140 (which goes against the small/light/cheap plan)

Do I get another XT3 (I really like it) or save some money and get an XT2 (the AF sounds worse and that was frustrating with the 5d2). There is also an XT30 but its even smaller and I find the XT3 comfier with the arca plate and front grip. Anyone own a combination have thoughts?
I've got the set of the f2 primes the 12mm Samyang and the 50 -140 (along with the 10-24) so I add my take on this.
Just to own the 14mm and the 12mm. The 14mm is a tad better IQ than the samyang but unless you are an avid pixel peepers I don't think you will notice any difference, I find the Samyang a great lens for astro with the wider view and extra stop and it's cheaper. If you happy going grey sub £190. If you do any infra-red shooting the 14 mm is hot spot free while the samyang is not.
The 16-80 compared to the primes is a hard one for me I do a fair bit of street and the small size of primes swing it for me but I do like the look of the 16-80 by all accounts it a good performer.
The 90mm along with the 16mm f1.4 is imho the best lens for the x system, the rendering is superb and it makes you want to shoot af f2 all day long. It's the lens I miss the most. Got the 50-140 for landscapes and the little action shooting I do these days but I'm very tempted to swap if for a 90mm.
I always found the af on the X-T2 to be ok will depend on what you shoot, action stuff is a lot better on the 3 and the 3 focuses better in dim light but for general stuff the 2 is fine.
Personally i love my T30 but can understand why people find it to small. J use a L plate with grip on if and this does help but it's a very personal thing.
Also add a set of cheap set of extension tubes and the 90mm does some very good close up work.

Last edited:
To add to Graham's post above

I've had the Fuji 16mm F1.4, Fuji 14mm and Samyang 12mm, I look it like this:-

Best IQ - and possibly the best Fuji prime -> XF16mm F1.4

Next Best IQ, compact and with AF -> XF14mmF2.8

Wide FOV and good for astro --> Samyang 12mm but be aware that they often focus past infinity so need to be stepped back a little, and the colour rendition is different to the Fuji glass. This lens often stays in my bag, as if possible I'd rather shoot a two shot pano with the 16mm!!

The 90mm is an astonishing lens, and if you are building a system around primes should be in your bag, its rendering is fantastic and has the habit of making every image beautiful. The last two Fuji lenses that I would sell are the 16mmF1.4 and the 90mm, in fact its these two lenses that make me keep my Fuji ILC body (otherwise I could quite happily shoot with X100 series cameras)

If you post in the Fabulous Fuji X Thread, you will get more answers........

that is a very detailed reply cheers!

I think I’m going to go primes and maybe pick up a cheap zoom if I absolutely need the flexibility.

how do you find using the samyang for anything not Astro/landscape ? Considering getting it and adding the 14mm at a later date

Ok. I need to look at options again at the wide end. I know the 18 is too long but I’m not sure what else is affordable now

I think I’m going to go primes and maybe pick up a cheap zoom if I absolutely need the flexibility.

how do you find using the samyang for anything not Astro/landscape ? Considering getting it and adding the 14mm at a later date

I had all three at the same time, I got rid of the 14mm as the 16mm was wide enough most of the time, and the IQ is on another level. That said the 14mm makes a nice companion if you have the 18-55 as they share hoods/filters etc. I really only get the 12mm out of the bag when I have no other options, it is not my favourite lens from a colour rendering POV and it also suffers more optical distortion (as you would expect from an UWA) and is less flare resistant than the Fuji Glass.

My recommendation would be to buy the 16mm F1.4 (I know its a little bigger), but it really a truly stunning lens, will focus close as well and has WR. Any other options will just leave you wondering about whether you should have bought the 16mm

I don't really use it for anything else to be honest I use the 10-24 for my wide angle landscapes. As Mr P mentioned the other option is the 16mm f1.4 if its wide enough for you or you are happy to a quick pano it's the best wide angle lens for Fuji full stop. The only downside beside the price is the size, not that big to be honest but not the lightest if you want to go light.
if your planning to get the primes and want a cheap mid range zoom either the 18-55 it's a lovely lens and 230ish s/h or even cheaper the 16-50 for the price the IQ is very good. But it is a power zoom.

Hi David;

Yes, the Samyang lenses I'm sure you know are great value..!! Check out the not often talked about Samyang 135mm f2 which I recently bought myself for the Fuji X system, a focal length of 202mm via full-frame I believe, a nice prime lens.

Regards;
mac

Hi David;

Yes, the Samyang lenses I'm sure you know are great value..!! Check out the not often talked about Samyang 135mm f2 which I recently bought myself for the Fuji X system, a focal length of 202mm via full-frame I believe, a nice prime lens.

Regards;
mac

I can’t see myself using a telephoto manual focus lens ever really. But thanks for the idea

Fuji 14mm is a great little lens. I love mine :)

Back