The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Is anybody using the XT2 with 100-400 for bird photography? I was out yesterday with my Olympus E-M5ii and 75-300 trying to track owls in flight in quite good light but the results were very poor. The hit rate for in-focus shots was very low which I accept may be down to me but was partly the equipment. Would the Fuji fare better?
Although the XT2 AF tracking is very good I find it still boils down to good technique, my results are very mixed, i'm getting there but it isn't easy. I would say persevere with the Oly for a while, I managed to get some decent shots of my fast dog running towards me with the EM10.

Is anybody using the XT2 with 100-400 for bird photography? I was out yesterday with my Olympus E-M5ii and 75-300 trying to track owls in flight in quite good light but the results were very poor. The hit rate for in-focus shots was very low which I accept may be down to me but was partly the equipment. Would the Fuji fare better?
I had the EM5-II and it's a smashing camera, however good at tracking it isn't and this is a case where equipment does make a difference. Add to that you were using the 75-300mm which has poor AF, especially at the tele end and I'm not surprised your results were poor TBH :( I also have the D750 and the difference between this and the EM5-II for tracking is night and day. Folk are saying the XT2 is as good as high end DSLRs i.e. D750's and 5D3/4's so Id imagine you'd find the XT2 a lot better than the EM5-II for BIF. Obviously I'd recommend trying one out for yourself first (y)

I had the EM5-II and it's a smashing camera, however good at tracking it isn't and this is a case where equipment does make a difference. Add to that you were using the 75-300mm which has poor AF, especially at the tele end and I'm not surprised your results were poor TBH :( I also have the D750 and the difference between this and the EM5-II for tracking is night and day. Folk are saying the XT2 is as good as high end DSLRs i.e. D750's and 5D3/4's so Id imagine you'd find the XT2 a lot better than the EM5-II for BIF. Obviously I'd recommend trying one out for yourself first (y)
I did wonder about the lens mentioned.

Photography resolutions this year? Mine is to try and not edit anything, only edit allowed is cropping! lets see how well this goes.

Photography resolutions this year? Mine is to try and not edit anything, only edit allowed is cropping! lets see how well this goes.

You're going to deny yourself development of a key skill which has been apart of photography well into the film days..

However you're going to forgive any poor judgement in composition when it came to framing the photograph..

If you wanted to actually improve yourself and your photos, you might consider that the other way round..?

Last edited:
I suppose it depends what's meant by editing. I routinely alter WB, contrast, saturation and the like as I shoot raw and beyond that I sometimes clone out something such as rubbish or people I couldn't avoid including in the shot.

You're going to deny yourself development of a key skill which has been apart of photography well into the film days..

However you're going to forgive any poor judgement in composition when it came to framing the photograph..

If you wanted to actually improve yourself and your photos, you might consider that the other way round..?

Wise words indeed. I assume that only jpeg are required. Raw is always going to need processing.

Very true, I think people sometimes forget how much film was manipulated in the darkroom. This is a great video to see how film developing translated into photoshop.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2mQsUIc97E

Another one from frosty Christchurch Meadow. No prizes for spotting what inspired the composition :)

Was out taking pictures around Shipton on Cherwell on Monday - narrowboats and churches. Should have something worth a share when I get round to processing them...

Jubilee Bridge
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Very nice Dave. I was at Shipton Monday morning for sunrise was that you I spoke about 8ish?

I did wonder about that 75-300, and I was using it at the 300mm end most of the time. I agree with @imattersuk that it could be my technique, but I used to do this sort of thing with more success on full-frame Canon kit in the past so I thought I'd be able to do the same with the Oly. I do like the E-M5ii but I'm not splashing out for their 300mm prime lens at over £2k - I could get an X-T2 and 100-400 for the same price, or a used Canon 7D mk1 and 100-400 Canon lens for around £1k total. But the reason for the Oly was to get the weight down so going back to Canon kit seems a step backwards, and I already have a small investment in Fuji so maybe that's the way to go. Just need to find somewhere that has the Fuji 100-400 in stock so I can have a play with it :)

Folk are saying the XT2 is as good as high end DSLRs i.e. D750's

Still not convinced about this! (I have both.) It's the main reason I've still got the Nikon kit as well as the Fujis. Don't often shoot fast moving things coming towards me so haven't yet done a head to head comparison.

If you shoot Raw, then not editing will leave you with a lot of very flat looking images.

I don't make NY resoloutions, that way I can't fail :p I make a conscious effort to try to get out and shoot more, that's about it.

Still not convinced about this! (I have both.) It's the main reason I've still got the Nikon kit as well as the Fujis. Don't often shoot fast moving things coming towards me so haven't yet done a head to head comparison.
Neither am I but until I try it I can't dispute the opinions of those that have ;)

This isn't perfect but that's more down to me, this beast is very erratic and very fast.

Rio_XT-2_Tracking by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Very nice Dave. I was at Shipton Monday morning for sunrise was that you I spoke about 8ish?
Ha! Yes, it was! I was with my friend Alice, who lives in Thrupp. I commented to her that you were probably someone who took good pictures, because not only were you carrying a serious looking camera and more importantly a tripod, you also seemed to be a lot fussier than me regarding what was worth looking at :D

Ha! Yes, it was! I was with my friend Alice, who lives in Thrupp. I commented to her that you were probably someone who took good pictures, because not only were you carrying a serious looking camera and more importantly a tripod, you also seemed to be a lot fussier than me regarding what was worth looking at :D

Small world don't think the fussier part applies just had the bits I rambled on about in the idea of the shot I was after in my head, which I didn't get as seems the norm. :-(

Small world don't think the fussier part applies just had the bits I rambled on about in the idea of the shot I was after in my head, which I didn't get as seems the norm. :-(
I have a plan to go back there and try a bit of astro at some point. Although unfortunately not the Milky Way probably, as the galactic centre would be on the Oxford side where the light pollution is worse. At the moment though, clear skies = everything icy. So I may leave it until later in the year!

I have a plan to go back there and try a bit of astro at some point. Although unfortunately not the Milky Way probably, as the galactic centre would be on the Oxford side where the light pollution is worse. At the moment though, clear skies = everything icy. So I may leave it until later in the year!

Astro is something I always meant to have a go at, when you do if you fancy some company let me know.

:eek:!!

Fujifilm has suggested retail prices of £2149 for the X-Pro2 Graphite Special Edition and £1649 for the X-T2 Graphite Silver Edition.

Madness !!!

Back