The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I'm now thinking along the lines of 85mm as suggested by @Mr Perceptive .

I did have the Se7en5 system; on the 10-24 it vignetted up to 10 or 11 mm, although since I always crop to A4 that was mitigated somewhat.

On the verge of ordering now, waiting on a response from Jessops regarding confirming trade in value in store.

In the mean time I am getting all my canon gear ready for sale. One lens I am not sure about is my Zenitar 16mm, this is a full frame fisheye lens, but for such comparatively small value I am wondering if it is worth holding on to, could it be put to good use with an adapter? Has anyone used one on an XT, any version?

I'm now thinking along the lines of 85mm as suggested by @Mr Perceptive .

I did have the Se7en5 system; on the 10-24 it vignetted up to 10 or 11 mm, although since I always crop to A4 that was mitigated somewhat.

Stephen, @mickledore and I tested his 10-24 with my 85mm filters, we managed a screw in 72mm big stopper, then the Hitech holder with a grad in it.

I will add that the Resin Hitechs have a colour cast, the Firecrests do not (plenty of Hitech discount codes floating about BTW, though Amazon can be quite cheap).

If you want to meet up to try, I'm more than happy to do that (halfway meet approx 40 miles each), I have a selection of Hitech 72mm screw in, plus the 85mm holder, full set of Grads (Hard+Soft) and a Reverse Grad, Just PM me (but I'm very busy for next 2-3 weeks)

That's pretty much the deal I already have on the table (£1000 off, £1200 cashback), along with a £450 trade in bonus, and part ex on X-T2 and some lenses. The deals aren't going to get any worse (though I'm sure the X-T2 trade in will go lower!!) so I'm going to wait to see what the GFX50R brings when announced next week.

My biggest concern at the moment is the weight, at around 2kg for a body plus lens, its a long way away from where I wanted to go when I got into the Fuji X system. That weight is already more than my X-T2 and several lenses, and adding a further GFX lens will kill my knees and back when hacking up/down hills.

Awesome bit of kit though (and I'd be very lonely in a thread of one!!)

Tried the xt3. Very nice. Focus is very snappy and tried the continuous eye af which worked well. Managed to get the 56mm out of the cabinet and even that lens - which isn’t the fasted to focus managed to acquire focus from near to far subjects really well.

Not sure I like the silver finish having held it.

Had a chat with the Fuji rep who is the same guy I spoke with previously when trying the gfx. Interestingly He reckons the x-pro 3 won’t ship until 2020 and the same with the x-h2.

Tried the xt3. Very nice. Focus is very snappy and tried the continuous eye af which worked well. Managed to get the 56mm out of the cabinet and even that lens - which isn’t the fasted to focus managed to acquire focus from near to far subjects really well.

Not sure I like the silver finish having held it.

Had a chat with the Fuji rep who is the same guy I spoke with previously when trying the gfx. Interestingly He reckons the x-pro 3 won’t ship until 2020 and the same with the x-h2.
I prefer the black one, didn't like the look of the silver one.

Anyway, WEX just got in touch with me to let me that my XT3 is with them [emoji16] ready for delivery

Last edited:
Loving the MCEX-11 extension tube with the XF56mm attached. Practising my photography for my own wedding this Saturday.....lol. Mods please delete if necessary as shot with XP1, (sorry), I just got excited about the MCEX-11 and thought I'd share.

'Thank you'

Thank you by APM Photography, on Flickr

Stephen, @mickledore and I tested his 10-24 with my 85mm filters, we managed a screw in 72mm big stopper, then the Hitech holder with a grad in it.

I will add that the Resin Hitechs have a colour cast, the Firecrests do not (plenty of Hitech discount codes floating about BTW, though Amazon can be quite cheap).

If you want to meet up to try, I'm more than happy to do that (halfway meet approx 40 miles each), I have a selection of Hitech 72mm screw in, plus the 85mm holder, full set of Grads (Hard+Soft) and a Reverse Grad, Just PM me (but I'm very busy for next 2-3 weeks)
Thanks for your kind offer, David; having already looked through the threads on this topic (@mickledore ;)), I will probably get a Di Lucia Firecrest starter kit. Just build up on it if I need to. I’m not a great filter user, but I realise that I should be a little more. I just wanted to see if anyone came up with similar conclusions to me, bearing in mind that filter technology and manufacturers evolve.

Thanks for your kind offer, David; having already looked through the threads on this topic (@mickledore ;)), I will probably get a Di Lucia Firecrest starter kit. Just build up on it if I need to. I’m not a great filter user, but I realise that I should be a little more. I just wanted to see if anyone came up with similar conclusions to me, bearing in mind that filter technology and manufacturers evolve.
I don't use grads very much these days. I have a couple in the bag, but can't remember the last time I had them out. I tend to bracket exposures - just a flick of a switch gives me 9 variants - and if I can't use LR to get the desired effect I will play around at blending.
Can't comment on the 10 - 24 nowadays. That hulk of a lens is long gone; I never liked the distortion at the 10mm end so got the 9mm instead.

Ooh. D'you have the Laowa then, Frank?

What d'you think of it?
I don't use grads very much these days. I have a couple in the bag, but can't remember the last time I had them out. I tend to bracket exposures - just a flick of a switch gives me 9 variants - and if I can't use LR to get the desired effect I will play around at blending.
Can't comment on the 10 - 24 nowadays. That hulk of a lens is long gone; I never liked the distortion at the 10mm end so got the 9mm instead.

I prefer the black one, didn't like the look of the silver one.

Anyway, WEX just got in touch with me to let me that my XT3 is with them [emoji16] ready for delivery

I'm waiting for the call to come and collect mine Silver one :) but then I had the silver X-T10 and loved it.

Hoping the call/email/text will come tomorrow!

Last edited:

There is so little difference between the best Crop and FF cameras now. it seems hardly worth the extra cost and weight to continue FF
To see any difference at all you need to be viewing at 100%
The difference, between Mirror or mirrorless as a format, quality wise is non existent
There remain some differences in handling and speed of operation but it is hard to decide in many cases which or when one might prefer one to the other.

It is hard to believe cameras will get any better... But they will.

There is so little difference between the best Crop and FF cameras now. it seems hardly worth the extra cost and weight to continue FF
To see any difference at all you need to be viewing at 100%
The difference, between Mirror or mirrorless as a format, quality wise is non existent
There remain some differences in handling and speed of operation but it is hard to decide in many cases which or when one might prefer one to the other.

It is hard to believe cameras will get any better... But they will.

I'm more surprised there's so little between my G80 and the Fujis, up till 3200 at least. Doesn't say if in cam NR is applied in any case, but even so then it's just a slight bump of NR in post. The T2 and 3 look much of a muchness to my eye on this screen at least

fujicompare.jpg

Last edited:
Quite irritated, just phoned up Jessops to confirm if I'm to pickup my XT3 tomorrow as they've promised me earlier that I'd get it in release day.
They have no idea how many they're getting in tomorrow or if I'm on the list to be receiving one.

I've out down the deposit literally 1/2 days after it was on preorder. Can't even plan my day to leave work and collect, if I'm not on the receiving list then the next shipment will be 24th September.

Call from wex my xt3 will be with me tomorrow!

My Jessops X-T3 has been posted!!

But they claim to have used a courier called “Post Direct UK Mainland” which I can’t make sense of. Ah well, we shall find out what tomorrow brings!

To see any difference at all you need to be viewing at 100%.
This was my thinking too based on reviews and Fuji’s own comments regarding FF vs APS-C. So I decided to move to the Fuji XT-2 system with some rather decent lenses
However I came away feeling that the AF and ISO/DR wasn’t quite there when compared to Sony FF offerings.
I ended up moving back to Sony but as you said, FF has the associated cost & weight attached to it.

The Fuji system has something about it which still appeals to me and so many others.
In my opinion the Fuji XT-3 is probably the best APS-C body to date and as a system the Fuji system is pretty good.

I have had some thoughts of trying Fuji again but not just yet. :)

I'm more surprised there's so little between my G80 and the Fujis, up till 3200 at least. Doesn't say if in cam NR is applied in any case, but even so then it's just a slight bump of NR in post. The T2 and 3 look much of a muchness to my eye on this screen at least

View attachment 134750

I down loaded their raw 100% files and the difference was just percievable on my pc. But it looked like the focus on eyes was more accurate.

Ooh. D'you have the Laowa then, Frank?

What d'you think of it?
Sorry @Ian W , only just seen this.
(You should tag me - I no longer get notifications of posts to this thread!)
Yes, I have the Laowa 9mm. I like it a lot. It's very small and compact. It seems to be very well built and sturdy. To my eyes it is sharp all through, though I've seen reports of pixel peepers blowing images up to 300% and then complaining that the "might" be some softness in the corners. The same people who see worms I presume?
Looks pretty distortion free in this shot...
FUJI9040.jpg

though if you stand really close to verticals and shoot upward you do get parralax errors - is there a lens that doesn't do that?

You get some strange effects shooting directly into the sun (remember what the sun is?)...
FUJI7760.jpg

The only real downside - if it is one - is that the aperture ring turns the "wrong " way. Not usually a problem, but I was shooting on my back at arms length and decided to go wide open, but selected f2.8 instead of f11. Cue one out of focus shot!

It won't suit everybody, but I'm happy with it.

Sorry @Ian W , only just seen this.
(You should tag me - I no longer get notifications of posts to this thread!)
Yes, I have the Laowa 9mm. I like it a lot. It's very small and compact. It seems to be very well built and sturdy. To my eyes it is sharp all through, though I've seen reports of pixel peepers blowing images up to 300% and then complaining that the "might" be some softness in the corners. The same people who see worms I presume?
Looks pretty distortion free in this shot...
View attachment 134768

though if you stand really close to verticals and shoot upward you do get parralax errors - is there a lens that doesn't do that?

You get some strange effects shooting directly into the sun (remember what the sun is?)...
View attachment 134767

The only real downside - if it is one - is that the aperture ring turns the "wrong " way. Not usually a problem, but I was shooting on my back at arms length and decided to go wide open, but selected f2.8 instead of f11. Cue one out of focus shot!

It won't suit everybody, but I'm happy with it.
@mickledore , Is that first shot Queen Street mill? That lens is impressive!

Last edited:
Yep @Stephen L Queen Street it is on one of their rare open days.
It closed for a couple of years, @mickledore , as did most of the Lancashire museums. Last time I visited they had the Lancashire boilers in steam. Had a look round the boiler house. I started my working life in mills like that, and I still love the sound of looms in action. Reckon I could still drive one, given a bit of coaching! Although the looms I used were a bit more modern - Kovo air jets, and Rutis. Also worked in spinning and dyeing.

The problem they have now is with the chimney. In essence it is falling down so large parts of the mill are (supposedly) out of bounds. The whole mill is closed except for a few days which I think have gone for this year.

The chimney is being repaired and the intention is to let the public back in on a regular basis but that might be 2020.

Interestingly it is still used for film work - The King' s Speech was shot in there.

The problem they have now is with the chimney. In essence it is falling down so large parts of the mill are (supposedly) out of bounds. The whole mill is closed except for a few days which I think have gone for this year.

The chimney is being repaired and the intention is to let the public back in on a regular basis but that might be 2020.

Interestingly it is still used for film work - The King' s Speech was shot in there.
Yes, saw that and recognised it straight away.

I have a chance to buy an XT2 with the grip, extra batts and a half case for a very good price, but I need to sell my G80 asap :/ The guy can only hold it another day or 2 max. I think Fuji has been calling me back for a while now, despite the niggles I do remember loving my XT1 so it's worth another shot.

decided to go wide open, but selected f2.8 instead of f11.

Erm… ;) :p

I'll be sticking with the zooms rather than a bagful of primes - 3 bodies with 3 zooms (and a couple of telecons) covers me from 10-800mm.

Other than bells and whistles (and a few extra pixies), does the 3 offer a LOT of an upgrade from the 2?

Other than bells and whistles (and a few extra pixies), does the 3 offer a LOT of an upgrade from the 2?

Seems to be all speed and video improvements, IQ, functionality, build etc all looks to be about the same

Back