Fuji x100/S/T/F Owners Thread

yes but this sooftware brought faster AF for the XT-1 and xt10

They could do the same for the x100t
It's a different lens and focusing system. Can't just alter a couple of lines of code. I've not heard any rumours of a firmware update for the X100 series, although no doubt there will be something in the pipeline.

View attachment 42411

My first quick walk around - loving it so far. Powerful little camera.

Question - how many people use the JPEG options and if so how do they set them up in camera? I didn't really like the results I was getting from the jpegs yesterday - shooting raw and jpeg fine - I tried most of the film effects.

Last edited:
Just took delivery this morning of an X100T & both converters. :banana::banana::banana:

X100S will need to go soon to offset some of the cost.

That sounds a cracking little setup Colin, I'd be really interested to know your opinions on the optical quality of converters.(y)

George.

Just took delivery this morning of an X100T & both converters.

X100S will need to go soon to offset some of the cost.
Sounds good. I'd like to know if the difference to the X100S makes the upgrade worthwhile. I keep looking at the T and wondering if I should up from my S.

Last edited:
Question - how many people use the JPEG options and if so how do they set them up in camera? I didn't really like the results I was getting from the jpegs yesterday - shooting raw and jpeg fine - I tried most of the film effects.
I stick to raw. Jpegs are impressive on all Fujis but I find I can get a little more detail from the raw files in Lightroom - which I am very happy with.

EDIT - except if I want to use the in-camera panorama, of course.

Last edited:
I started using my new X100s a few days ago and had a couple of questions.

My main system is a D700 with fast primes, the purpose of the X100s is for holidays and to give me the option to leave the hefty 700 at home.

I love the design and the feel of the X100s but I think it is going to take some getting used to after using a DSLR for so many years.

I use the Fuji in aperture priority, AF-S, Auto ISO at 200 with Max at 3200 - min shutter 1/125, shoot in RAW, DR @ 100% (also tried Auto), AF mode Area.

I am finding the pictures inconsistent if that makes sense, some are amazing but some look like they have been taken on my phone. I think it is mainly down to the auto focus. I use a combination of the LCD and OVF but find the size of the focus point huge in the OVF.

Not sure what I am missing, I am thinking it is the transition going from a DSLR, if anyone had the same issues getting started with it I would be pleased to hear your experience/suggestions. Or am I just expecting too much from camera?

My main system is a D700 with fast primes, the purpose of the X100s is for holidays and to give me the option to leave the hefty 700 at home.

I love the design and the feel of the X100s but I think it is going to take some getting used to after using a DSLR for so many years.

I use the Fuji in aperture priority, AF-S, Auto ISO at 200 with Max at 3200 - min shutter 1/125, shoot in RAW, DR @ 100% (also tried Auto), AF mode Area.

I am finding the pictures inconsistent if that makes sense, some are amazing but some look like they have been taken on my phone. I think it is mainly down to the auto focus. I use a combination of the LCD and OVF but find the size of the focus point huge in the OVF.

Not sure what I am missing, I am thinking it is the transition going from a DSLR, if anyone had the same issues getting started with it I would be pleased to hear your experience/suggestions. Or am I just expecting too much from camera?

Thats my biggest complaint with the S and why i would love to try a T as the A/F compared to any SLR seems slow and very inconsistent regardless of size of focus point especially when my 3 and 7 year olds are hyper.
If you can slow everything down and take your time then its a wonderful little camera and the bonus is being able to sync at silly speeds with flash which at the moment is the only reason i have hung onto mine and not moved onto the XT1 which may be the best compromise between the S and a heavy SLR with primes.
When it works i love it but still find myself wishing i had the 1DX and a 35mm with me a lot of the time when out with the wife and kids regardless of size and weight.

Hi

I'm in the same boat but with the X100T but I'm using the EVF 100% of the time. I'm impressed in some ways and unhappy in others and I'd also be interested in other people's thoughts. Comparing the AF between it and my 5d3+35L is ridiculous and the dof is seriously lacking (but then I did realise the latter before purchasing it). I dread to think what the AF performance on the x100s is like. :/

The only thing going for it, for me, is the lightweight package for holidays - that truly is amazing - and the remote control and transfer of images using my mobile, but like you, sometimes I wonder if it's that much better than my phone (LG G3 - which is absolutely fantastic btw) for standard shots. I'm away on holiday at the end of August and will probably reserve judgement till then. In the meantime I wish the camera would wow me more.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, it is reassuring to know that it is not just me, but at the same time disappointing.

I have also read that the EVF will help with focus accuracy, I have tried it out this morning and so far so good but time will tell, I usually use the OVF as I am concerned about battery life.

If I use the EVF and don't chimp often, roughly how many shots will I get to a fully charged battery, if I was not to use any flash?

Thanks for the feedback, it is reassuring to know that it is not just me, but at the same time disappointing.

I have also read that the EVF will help with focus accuracy, I have tried it out this morning and so far so good but time will tell, I usually use the OVF as I am concerned about battery life.

If I use the EVF and don't chimp often, roughly how many shots will I get to a fully charged battery, if I was not to use any flash?

I haven't taken a fully charged battery and shot till it died. But I know it's very short on life. At a guess, I'd say it must have a third or a quarter of the life of a DSLR battery. They are tiny enough to carry a few with you so negating the issue of low battery life.

On another plus note try the manual focus. The focus peaking is very impressive! I haven't been able to mf accurately at 1.4 on the 5d3 as it doesn't have interchangeable focusing screens like the 5d classic (which was amazing) so the x100t was a pleasant surprise in that category.

Do you change any of the custom settings? What type of film simulation do you use?

Can't remember, knowing me probably not. Kept things like dr to auto. I shoot manual, so set ISO, shutter and aperture myself. Will sometimes use chrome but normally just standard. I have no prove with af. Sure it's not as good as my d750 but even with 2 kids I don't miss too many shots.

I haven't taken a fully charged battery and shot till it died. But I know it's very short on life. At a guess, I'd say it must have a third or a quarter of the life of a DSLR battery. They are tiny enough to carry a few with you so negating the issue of low battery life.

On another plus note try the manual focus. The focus peaking is very impressive! I haven't been able to mf accurately at 1.4 on the 5d3 as it doesn't have interchangeable focusing screens like the 5d classic (which was amazing) so the x100t was a pleasant surprise in that category.

I just spent the day at a family BBQ and had a good opportunity to put the X100s through its paces and I must say I am very impressed, using solely the EVF it makes all the difference. I also had a play in manual with the focus peaking and as you say, it is spot on.

Think I just need more time using it to get to know it better.

For those unhappy with af speed I highly recommend back button focusing. Just put it on MF and use the AEL button to focus.

On my X100s it's very quick to focus, even in low light.

Give it a go.

Or, as already mentioned, the split screen MF is the best I've ever used on any camera.

"Cracking" shot Marcus @XFile2708 , really shows the atmosphere and this shot works very well in B&W.(y)

George.

"Cracking" shot Marcus @XFile2708 , really shows the atmosphere and this shot works very well in B&W.(y)

George.

Thanks George - yes was really pleased how this one came out.. Was nice to get a shot that showed something from the air show despite not having a zoom lens camera like 90% of people photographing had :D

I have only had my X100S for a week and thought I would try out my Nissin Di866 mk2 that I use on my D700, the flash is bigger than the camera lol. I was stunned by the results though, this little camera is surprising me daily.

Obviously I can't use the Nissin on it going forward, so what Fuji flashes do you all use on the camera (not off camera), I notice Fuji sell three types: EF-20, EF-X20 and EF-42. I know the built in flash is great, but what do you use if you want a bit more light and need to use bounce etc.

Here are a couple of pics using the Nissin:

X1001480 by Daryl Ellison, on Flickr

X1001487 by Daryl Ellison, on Flickr

I had the EF-X20 and although it's a lovely engineered piece of kit, the recycle time is pants, for me it was pretty much unusable. I sold it and bought the Nissin i40, it's a fantastic little flash gun, I'm more than happy with it.

Here's another vote for the "Nissin i40" Daryl, extreemly good unit and very versatile. Well worth adding the "Nissin SC-01 Universal Cord" for full dedicated off camera flash work.(y)

George.

Like Jim I used to have the EF-X20 and although it looked great the recycle times and lack of tilt made it a waste of time for me. The Meike MK320 is well worth a look, I had one recently. The only reason I changed to the nissin was to be able to use it on a Canon OC3 lead. (the meike would only work in manual when on the lead)

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, I will look into the Nissin and Meike.

I will probably go with the Nissin as the one I use on my 700 has been great and their warranty/service support is second to none. I did not know Nissin had a TTL flash for Fuji so I am very happy :)

I mentioned this before, but I bought my Nissin i40 from Amazon.de, its 159 euro at todays exchange rate that's £112.19 as opposed to Amazon.co.uk which is selling it at £152 a £40 saving ! Mine arrived 3 days after I placed the order which is as fast or faster than when I order from the UK.I ordered a Sirui travel tripod from Amazon.es last week at a saving of £31 over UK prices.

Last edited:
I mentioned this before, but I bought my Nissin i40 from Amazon.de, its 159 euro at todays exchange rate that's £112.19 as opposed to Amazon.co.uk which is selling it at £152 a £40 saving ! Mine arrived 3 days after I placed the order which is as fast or faster than when I order from the UK.I ordered a Sirui travel tripod from Amazon.es last week at a saving of £31 over UK prices.

A handy site for checking all European Amazon prices : https://www.curiua.com/

That's a nice shot Pradeep, with great use of DOF.(y)

George.

Do you pay any taxes/duty on items purchased from the EU?

Thanks,
AL

Do you pay any taxes/duty on items purchased from the EU?

Thanks,
AL
No as it's purchased within the EU all taxes are included in the price. I actually think the goods are shipped from an Amazon warehouse in the UK as the tracking info is Royal mail and I normally receive the order in 2 or 3 days.

Back