Fuji xD cards and RAW format processing

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

A few questions, all loosely related to the same issue.

1. Where's the best place to buy a Fuji 1Gb xD memory card?

2. I have a Fujifilm RAW image file converter, but all it does is convert images from RAW to TIF format. Is it possible to post-process RAW files? I've heard that it is and its more flexible than editing a JPG image, but no software seems to accommodate Fuji RAW format. I'm waiting for the next PSP9 update as I've sent Corel a sample RAW image in the hope they'll add support for it.

3. I've heard conflicting stories about whether or not the S5100 even supports 1Gb xD cards. I don't see a reason why not, but, has anyone tried this before I dole out money for one?

4. Erm... can't remember. I'll come back and edit later if my brain starts working again.

[edit] Oh yeah, got it now!

4. Reckon its worth sticking with the S5100 (bearing in mind I've only had it 4 months), or shall I bite the bullet (and face the wrath of the missus) and get a Canon Eos 350D?

GfK said:
2. I have a Fujifilm RAW image file converter, but all it does is convert images from RAW to TIF format. Is it possible to post-process RAW files? I've heard that it is and its more flexible than editing a JPG image, but no software seems to accommodate Fuji RAW format.

4. Reckon its worth sticking with the S5100 (bearing in mind I've only had it 4 months), or shall I bite the bullet (and face the wrath of the missus) and get a Canon Eos 350D?

1. http://www.pixmantec.com Rawshooter Essentials...a fantastic and free RAW Editor

4. Get the 350D and go walkabout with it for 4 days, the Mrs will have calmed down by the time you get home.

The S5100 was on my short list of cameras a the time I wanted to progress from the compact I was using. It had the features and allowed for manual control like a dslr but at a fraction of the cost. Also with the added benefit of not needing to purchase other lens for telephoto (I think the S5100 has a 10X zoom). Only having the camera 4 months is a shame as you will be very lucky to get back close to what you paid for it. Anyway to ask this question, you must feel that the S5100 is not enough? And in that case, together with the fact that you feel able to afford the loss on the S5100 and the extra cost of the 350d + lenses and everything else that goes with dslr photography, I'd go for the 350d, (which is what I did). The 350d is a great LITTLE camera and may be a bit smaller than the S5100 (not sure). It has opened up a whole new world for me and I do feel that my photography has improved greatly. BUT.... I won’t tell a lie, there have been a couple of occasions that I wished I stuck with a more basic camera.
Only you can answer your question on the 350d, if you feel the S5100 does not give you what you want in quality or control, then the 350d will.
When it comes to telling your wife....I am advising you to stay with the S5100 ;)
Sorry I couldn't be of any great help to you, especially regarding your other questions.
Ken.
PS. If you decide to stay with the S5100, I have 2x 256mb xd cards cheap! :)

i would agree with Ken, you have the ability to take good pictures and work on them, the 5100 WILL eventually not be enough for you, if you can get back as much as possible on it now and get a 350d then do it...

Bachs is right to suggest rawshooter, great software!

Re : Rawshooter. I did check last night for you, as I was going to suggest the same, but after checking the list of supported formats I saw no mention of Fuji RAW on there at all.

Marcel said:
Re : Rawshooter. I did check last night for you, as I was going to suggest the same, but after checking the list of supported formats I saw no mention of Fuji RAW on there at all.
That's why I never mentioned it, I wasn't sure and thought I'd leave it too those in the know.

PS. If you decide to stay with the S5100, I have 2x 256mb xd cards cheap!
Thx for the offer but I really need to get hold of a 1gb card. I've taken a few test shots in RAW format and I'm finding the image quality to be much better than a JPG equivalent, but at 8mb per image, I need more storage than the 256mb I've currently got. I've actually got 2x256 and 1x128 but I'm doing two weddings next year and I don't want to be messing about changing cards at inconvenient times.

Yep, I found the same.

My problems with the S5100 (in no particular order):

1. Manual focus is painfully slow.
2. Built-in flash is next to useless - no hotshoe connectivity.
3. Aperture size seems very limited compared to other cameras.

Well you obviously know more about cameras than I did and you know what you want from it. As anyone on here will tell you, it is about trying them out at the shop and finding if they feel right for you. Only speaking of the canon 350d, it is a lot smaller than other dslr's but that doesn't bother me, however that may not be the case for you. It is a very good camera and i'm sure your wife will not question why you need ANOTHER so soon after your last purchase. :whistling Good Luck.
Ken.

It is a very good camera and i'm sure your wife will not question why you need ANOTHER so soon after your last purchase
No she wouldn't question it at all.

She'd just stab me in the face and be done with it - no questions asked. :ponders: :tonofbric

GfK said:
She'd just stab me in the face and be done with it - no questions asked.
Tad extreme I feel....but I'll watch for it on the news. ;)

You'll see little, if any, difference between shots from your Fuji and a DSLR,(size for size) although DSLRs tend to have larger sensors than compacts and deal with image noise noticeably better.

Ultimately though an SLR is simply the most flexible photgraphic tool yet devised and sooner or later.... you'll want one.

Being stabbed in the face is a small price to pay, and you can dine out on stories of how it was caused by a rapier point in a duel one time. :coat:

Back