Full frame or crop for event photography ..?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there
I have recently been assisting as 2nd shooter at some sporting events and have had some great feedback. This really give me some hope of one day doing this for myself :)
The thing is, I am currently only using an entry level DSLR (Nikon D60) and as all of the pro's i've worked with seem to use Canon, I am looking to migrate over :shrug:

So - For event photography, especially horses and dogs, what would be my best option ? Would the full frame of a 5D or crop of a 50d be best ?
Some ideas and guidance would be great frm you guys. I am currently researching it but your input would be a real help
Thanks
Nat x

Probably crop, in terms of getting some increased magnification with your lenses.

Having said that, all the pro's are probably on 1Ds mk III's :D

A.

I can't really comment but I find it very odd if everyone only uses canon. I guess it would be handy to migrate over if you can get some lenses off them for cheap but otherwise I'm sure there's enough nikon pro's who would disagree you need to switch. Maybe it's just the area you're in, I'm sure there's patches of purely nikon togs elsewhere, it just required one person to start the trend.

As for cropping issue, afraid I can't offer any advice as still a noob.

Nat, think about some faster glass, first.

It's nice to use the shortfalls of the last event as an excuse to buy more kit, but be wary of thinking you have to splash out to get the work. If you're already getting good feedback, then your kit and results speak for themselves.

Ok then, maybe i am jumping the gun a bit ....
Ive spoken to a number of pro's including the ones i've worked with now and when they ask what kit i use there is a sharp intake of breath :crying:

Its made me feel quite inferior to be quite honest and so i feel like i need to upgrade, but saying that ...... one guy i spoke to recently said as long as you have the eye & technique and know your camera, you can get just as good results as some the pro's. :shrug:

...one guy i spoke to recently said as long as you have the eye & technique and know your camera, you can get just as good results as some the pro's. :shrug:

And he is right to some extent, being a good tog isn't just a case of having pro gear. The Canon vs Nikon saga will always be there, historically because Canon used to have (and to be honest still do) a better lens line-up. But Nikon have come on in recent times with some great new bodies, and they have a reasonable lens line up, all be it either really good (and expensive) or really well alright (and quite cheap) with some real gaps in between. As someone said above me, glass is where I would spend my money to begin with... what lenses do you currently use?

The last event tog I chatted with a couple weeks ago uses a Nikon D300, simply because the bulk of his work is sportsfield stuff so the extra 'reach' on the lenses with a DX sensor, or indoor sportshalls so the ISO performance is useful. The guy he employs uses a Canon [not sure which one, but upper end] and between them they do ok and don't have a problem using different bodies on same job. Ultimately it isn't all about the kit you have, though that is important in terms of matching it to what you will be shooting, but the images you are getting out of it, because thats what people will be buying.

Back