Gadget Bag Advice

Edit My Images
No
I have finally managed to pick up a cheap 300D Kit!! (Only been looking for about 3mths). Now I want to try and find a bag to put it in. Most of the time it will be just the camera itself and a few odds and ends (CF Cards, a spare battery or two and some leads).

What I want is something as nondesript as possible, the last thing I want is to get it nicked because it looked too 'photographic', any suggestions??.

I am quite keen on the Crumpler kit but find the website so hard to navigate and work out which is the best for my needs I just end up giving up!!

I think most of the camera gear rucksacks look pretty non descript anyway.

The Lowepro Orion Trekker Backpack is pretty good but is about £50 retail.
At the weekend I bought a 'vest' which is a 'Dickies' work utility vest, but the pockets are ideal. It carries my 75-300 comfortably plus spare batteries/CF cards etc. I can carry the bare essentials and leave the bag in the car.

have a look in the phtography magazines for subscription offers, especially if you buy the magazines anyway, i got the lowepro orion trekker free for taking out a subscription to amateur photographer which i bought every week anyway, so basically i got it for free. it is retty non-descript as you require, holds my 10D with lens, plus 2 other lenses, filters, can of air and microfibre cloth, my flash unit and other bits and pieces :)

tuttonp said:
I am quite keen on the Crumpler kit but find the website so hard to navigate and work out which is the best for my needs I just end up giving up!!

I'd agree with that, way too "cool" for their own good.

The Hama's a decent bag. Plenty of room, good internal adjustments, fairly comfortable on the back (adjustment could be better IMO) and not screaming out camera. Only thing I'd have liked to see is a compartment for the sandwiches and tripod straps, not much of a moan ;)

Just ordered the Hama. Should be big enough to cope with the camera, two lenses (or is that lensi? ;) ), couple of filters, manual and guide books etc and look like an ordinary backpack.

:)

good choice Sammy, i really like mine!

Welcome to the forums TuttonP, go say hello in the welcome forum!

dod said:
I'd agree with that, way too "cool" for their own good.

The Hama's a decent bag. Plenty of room, good internal adjustments, fairly comfortable on the back (adjustment could be better IMO) and not screaming out camera. Only thing I'd have liked to see is a compartment for the sandwiches and tripod straps, not much of a moan ;)

dod with my 7day bag (wasnt branded Hama then), I took the waist strap (the elasticated bit with clip), made it very small, and attached it to the front pocket zip, then round the side and round the back and secured round the bottom of the other sides shoulder strap.

then the thick spare strape, i wrapped around the carry handle, leaving a little loop.

Now all I do is flod my tripod up, folding down the lever arm (the one for moving the tripod head about) and screwing it to tighten it., then 'hook' this onto the loop at the top, and secure the tripod to the side of the bag with the previously made clip thingy.

Works a treat as a stopgap :)

Marcel said:
dod with my 7day bag snip

Thanks Marcel :) I'll give that a go but I seem to remember the strap on mine being more chest height, it's the samsonite version of the Hama.

What about the sandwiches ;)

Well I used to say "We'll go to McDonalds", but since last summers ban (and subsequent weight loss ;)) I tend to go without, or buy a snack at a local shop. :D

Samsonite version? Any idea what the difference is?
The only bag I know of is the one reviewed in the link above, which I think is the one I have.

I'm sure when I got it there were articles saying it was the same but I'm not sure if that's correct or not. I got it through ebay as the Hama wasn't available at 7day when I needed it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15201&item=7535325553&rd=1

bag1.jpg

bag3.jpg

bag4.jpg

bag5.jpg

its pretty much identical. cant remember where i saw that it was made by the same people, i will have a look for it when i get time...

Pretty much identical. Mine has no piping, speckling or logo on the outside. Nor that bit that looks like it's a velcro fastening.
The inside in mine is pure grey too.

And I only got one elasticated strap thing :(

Back