Gannets at Bempton Cliffs mid May?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I’d like to visit the gannets at Bempton cliffs this year.

We’ve hired a campervan and our original plan to visit Isle of Skye has fallen through as it’s now too late to book space on campsites mid May (our hiring company has had their new van delayed and work changes have lead to them closing this hiring business. They’ve helped us get another hire for the same time which is good).

I’m thinking whether it’s a good times May to visit Bempton cliffs for the gannets? Or would it be too early in the season?

I’d like to visit the gannets at Bempton cliffs this year.

We’ve hired a campervan and our original plan to visit Isle of Skye has fallen through as it’s now too late to book space on campsites mid May (our hiring company has had their new van delayed and work changes have lead to them closing this hiring business. They’ve helped us get another hire for the same time which is good).

I’m thinking whether it’s a good times May to visit Bempton cliffs for the gannets? Or would it be too early in the season?
We were there in the first week in May last year and there were plenty of Gannets about then, so you should be fine in mid-May. I was just down the coast at Flamborough a couple of weeks ago and there were quite a number of Gannets about.

Pics from May 6th last year

Bempton by Peter C, on Flickr

Bempton by Peter C, on Flickr

TP52 2023 Week 18, Distant by Peter C, on Flickr

I'm not going to claim St Abb's is hoaching with them already but there are at least half a dozen fully formed nests & last weekend the ranger said eggs had been observed.

If you haven't found a campsite yet it is worth taking a look at Wold farm campsite. It has access to the cliffs which you can walk along to RSPB Bempton. At the time I was to the puffin viewing was better there than at Bempton.

If you haven't found a campsite yet it is worth taking a look at Wold farm campsite. It has access to the cliffs which you can walk along to RSPB Bempton. At the time I was to the puffin viewing was better there than at Bempton.
Thanks, that’s the one we’re considering.it sounds the ideal location especially if you can visit early/late.

Back