Garden wildlife

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I don't do very much video, just the occasional bit with my DSLR if I find something interesting whilst I've been out photographing birds or other wildlife.
With the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic and being isolated at home, even the photography trips came to a halt but I did discover that something was visiting my garden so decided to invest in a wildlife trail camera in order to see what was happening.
I quickly discovered that I had a pair of Foxes visiting as well as, at first one Badger, then a pair, so I got a better quality trail camera to enjoy what was going on in my garden after dark and more recently the late evening. Before too long it was clear that the Foxes had young somewhere and after a bit of a wait we saw the arrival of their cubs, we believe they have four, though some cubs from another group have also visited at least once, upping the number.
Last night brought the interesting nightly video footage to a peak with the arrival of the Badger pair together with a young Badger cub.
It was interesting to watch their behaviour, especially after the arrival of two of the inquisitive Fox cubs!
Hope you find it interesting. :)

Thats fantastic.
I thought the badgers would be scared of the foxes rather than the other way round.
You're so lucky to have these awesome visitors.

I think you need to invest in more cameras :LOL:

Thats fantastic.
I thought the badgers would be scared of the foxes rather than the other way round.
You're so lucky to have these awesome visitors.

I think you need to invest in more cameras :LOL:

My thoughts entirely Bob, however SWMBO think one pop at £170 is enough! :(

I've been following your videos on the other thread, Gramps and they are great.

Really good to see so many visitors to your garden and the interactions between them.

I think the foxes know a badger is not something to get too close to and rely on their speed of reaction, but it is fun to watch.

In my experience with badgers they a spooked very easily. I've read their sense of smell is particularly good but their hearing seems very sensitive too. I assume because their sight is not that great their first reaction is to run.

Keep the video coming.

Dave

I've been following your videos on the other thread, Gramps and they are great.

Really good to see so many visitors to your garden and the interactions between them.

I think the foxes know a badger is not something to get too close to and rely on their speed of reaction, but it is fun to watch.

In my experience with badgers they a spooked very easily. I've read their sense of smell is particularly good but their hearing seems very sensitive too. I assume because their sight is not that great their first reaction is to run.

Keep the video coming.

Dave

Thanks for commenting Dave, yes it has been great watching them ... just trying to get a cub out in daylight to photograph now!
I went out with a torch a couple of nights ago and there was a Badger on the lawn, it took quite some time to realise it needed to leave and even turned around once to try to see what I was.
The Badgers have never got close enough to the Foxes to cause damage but there have been a couple of occasions where it looked like a Fox nipped the leg of a Badger ... though no obvious discomfort or damage,

My thoughts entirely Bob, however SWMBO think one pop at £170 is enough! :(

Loving this Roger, here and in the other thread. (y)

I rarely do video and I'm not up to speed on trail cameras and the like at all, so please take this with a pinch of salt, as it may be a daft suggestion.

I'm guessing it's a video quality thing that governs the price of a good trail camera? I don't own one but I have considered it as living where we do and often hearing the nightime wildlife, (tawny owls, foxes etc) but I've never taken the plunge and gotten one to see what goes on in our garden at night. I did though get a home security camera camera for Christmas (I know how to live:LOL: ) and I further upgraded it with another just a few weeks ago. One camera watches the driveway area where the main access to our property is and I also have one that more or less sees the whole back garden. They seem to give good quality video, even at night, although if they can compare to a full blown, good quality trail camera, I don't know.

They do however pick up activity every night, mainly the local moggies but a family of hedgehogs set them off most nights too, even the odd rat. I get notifications to my phone (which is at my bedside every night) of any activity and I love viewing the footage that comes in.

I think you would get 2 cameras for less than a good trail camera. I don't mean to replace or have instead of your trail camera but it might be worth it as back ups to cover other parts of your garden/house that the trail camera isn't covering, almost like an early warning system? You'll also have increased home security. My cameras are the Blink system.

I'll pass the salt. ;)

Last edited:
Loving this Roger, here and in the other thread. (y)

I rarely do video and I'm not up to speed on trail cameras and the like at all, so please take this with a pinch of salt, as it may be a daft suggestion.

I'm guessing it's a video quality thing that governs the price of a good trail camera? I don't own one but I have considered it as living where we do and often hearing the nightime wildlife, (tawny owls, foxes etc) but I've never taken the plunge and gotten one to see what goes on in our garden at night. I did though get a home security camera camera for Christmas (I know how to live:LOL: ) and I further upgraded it with another just a few weeks ago. One camera watches the driveway area where the main access to our property is and I also have one that more or less sees the whole back garden. They seem to give good quality video, even at night, although if they can compare to a full blown, good quality trail camera, I don't know.

They do however pick up activity every night, mainly the local moggies but a family of hedgehogs set them off most nights too, even the odd rat. I get notifications to my phone (which is at my bedside every night) of any activity and I love viewing the footage that comes in.

I think you would get 2 cameras for less than a good trail camera. I don't mean to replace or have instead of your trail camera but it might be worth it as back ups to cover other parts of your garden/house that the trail camera isn't covering, almost like an early warning system? You'll also have increased home security. My cameras are the Blink system.

I'll pass the salt. ;)

Thanks Dale, yes I've tried several different types of trailcam and it wasn't until I found the Browning that I was happy with the image quality, I/R coverage and sensitivity. Being completely self-contained, i.e. small, moveable and battery operated means I can move and adjust it easily and at any time.

In my past working life I have installed many CCTV systems from small domestic observation systems to large industrial/commercial systems and they have their place definitely but need power available. Whilst I do have external power and extsing CCTV to the front of the house, the thought of running suitable wiring points puts me off and I have no desire now to be fitting them to the house and running more wires, power supplies etc to do so ... and as for notifications through the night! :oops: :$
A few years ago it might have been different but I'm getting old now! :tumbleweed:

Thanks Dale, yes I've tried several different types of trailcam and it wasn't until I found the Browning that I was happy with the image quality, I/R coverage and sensitivity. Being completely self-contained, i.e. small, moveable and battery operated means I can move and adjust it easily and at any time.

In my past working life I have installed many CCTV systems from small domestic observation systems to large industrial/commercial systems and they have their place definitely but need power available. Whilst I do have external power and extsing CCTV to the front of the house, the thought of running suitable wiring points puts me off and I have no desire now to be fitting them to the house and running more wires, power supplies etc to do so ... and as for notifications through the night! :oops: :$
A few years ago it might have been different but I'm getting old now! :tumbleweed:

Both my cameras are powered by AA batteries, it's just a case of mounting the cameras with the mount and screws, literally takes 5 mins. Battery life is 2 years undr normal use.

The receiver connects up to the WiFi, then you pair the cameras to it. Apart from the power cable to the reciever, which plugs into a normal socket, it's wire free.

It's a great systems that I enjoy using, you can even speak to visitors with it from your phone.

It's not meant for wildlife, but between the moggies and hedghogs, the system works well and a fox, badger, derr or whatever would be easily seen.

Great video and interesting to see the temperature reported by the camera rising 15 degrees over the course of the video. I assume it gets hot when the LEDs are running for an extended period?
I've noticed that every time and came to the same conclusion, it's obviously not very reliable for ongoing frequent use. :)

Both my cameras are powered by AA batteries, it's just a case of mounting the cameras with the mount and screws, literally takes 5 mins. Battery life is 2 years undr normal use.

The receiver connects up to the WiFi, then you pair the cameras to it. Apart from the power cable to the reciever, which plugs into a normal socket, it's wire free.

It's a great systems that I enjoy using, you can even speak to visitors with it from your phone.

It's not meant for wildlife, but between the moggies and hedghogs, the system works well and a fox, badger, derr or whatever would be easily seen.

Interesting that it has 2 year battery life ... things have moved on! :LOL:

Back