Gardening help please

Glen

Uncle Glen
Name
Glen
Edit My Images
Yes
I gonna send a PM to Boon as he's my resident garden guru. But I've seemed to have developed some 'black/purple' spot problems on my 'Red Robins'

Here is how they are planted the one on the right has it worse than the left hand one....

both.jpg

Right....

right-far.jpg

Right close up...

right-close.jpg

Left.....

left-far.jpg

Left close up....

left-close.jpg

I've done a quick google and it could be 'Blackspot' fungus which looks as though it might effect roses too, but I've not got any of them.

If anyone can give me a few pointers that would be great.

hiya mate,
its got the blight by the looks of it, and you need a fungicide to keep it under control so the new foliage will not be affected.
dont worry about it, i'll get some for you.
garden looks nice BTW..

taken from RHS..

Photinia leaf spot
Photinia are good evergreen shrubs with some cultivars known for their bright red spring growth.

Photinias are prone to leaf spots. This is considered to be a physiological problem (i.e. not caused by any pest or disease). The purple-brown spotting on the foliage is typical of a plant under stress. Many photinias are not fully hardy in the UK and they particularly suffer after cold, wet winters.

To avoid this type of damage plant in a sheltered spot preferable against a wall or fence. Cold winds and/or frosty conditions can also damage foliage, again causing leaf spotting if adverse conditions are prolonged.

Feeding with a general-purpose fertiliser, such as Vitax Q4 or Growmore, should encourage healthy re-growth. Photinias respond well to pruning and you could also consider thinning out some of the top growth, in the hope that this will encourage younger, more vigorous growth. If the ground is heavy incorporate organic matter to aid with drainage.

Cheers Steve, give me a nod and I'll come and pick it up.

Thanks (y)

Nice looking garden there Glen (y)

What is it with Photinia's. They look so strong & hardy and yet closer inspection always seem to reveals being subject to something.
I lost two gorgeous potted ones to Vine weevil. Just managed to save a 3rd by washing the roots & giving them a quick swill in Jeyes fluid, rinsing & then repotting.
Urgh! the grubs munching on the roots were disgusting!:puke:

Napalm, cement, paving slabs...end of problem.

Thanks Glo, its just about all done now, only a bit of snagging to do.

Phew, from the title I thought you were after me doing some digging or other hard graft!!! :D

Back