Gary Fong Red Eye

That rather surprises me, How was the flash mounted?

Is it not because, as it is a diffuser, some light rays will go in all directions and inevitably sometimes directly where you may not want them ... :shrug: ... in you case KIM causing Red Eye ... :cautious:

Just a thought ... :thinking:

:p

Rog is right - the whole idea of the Fong is that even though you're pointing the flash up at the ceiling - the large body of the Fong still throws light forward to the subject, which is what it's intended to do and provide fill light. I've used it a fair bit and never had a problem so that's curious.

Red eye is caused by the flash source being too low and close to the lens axis - shining right into the eyes in other words. With a large flashgun mounted on top of a DSLR it's usually high enough to avoid the problem, particularly when the light is diffused as with the Fong.

Red eye is more of a problem with kids and younger people, than older ones. It's also very prevalent in animals, who usually have proportionally larger eyes.

Got an example pic KIM?

Oh I just had a thought - it is mainly when i have took pics at the recent dance medal parties. I've been sat on the floor shooting, and children have been receiving the medals. So I bet my flashgun was almost at a level with some of their eyes.

And that explains why the Adult presenting the medals hasn't got red eye.

I'll hunt out a pic or so, but I'm thinking thats maybe what it is.

Well the problem is usually more to do with how high the flash is from the lens axis, but sitting that low, and seeing as it's kids- who are red eye magnets - that could well be it.

Back