Geanealogy Software

Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend software for building a family tree.

I purchased software a few years ago, (and I am happy with it, apart from not being able to share information, does not allow to copy to disc, or send extracts via e-mail, even basic family details, I guess so that no one can copy the program behind it).

5 months ago I purchased a new laptop and want a software program that will allow me to send my relatives an attachment via e-mail, detailling our family tree.

PS. I dont like these on-line subscription facilities(Genes Reunited etc). I would rather pay a one off for the software, rather than a continual subscription.

Thanks

By the way my real name is Joe Wedlock- on the off chance that anyone knows a Wedlock, I would be happy to investigate if they are part of my tree.

I think the favourite is Family Tree Maker for windows? PCWorld used to sell it.

Thanks Steep.

I will do some digging, and try and find details of this software.

(before anyone else states it " NO not grave digging"

Have a read on the terms and conditions with Family Tree Maker, I seem to remember some odd stuff about them holding the copyright on anything you produce using it or something. My mum uses Genes Reunited, and I must say its great site and very usefull and has helped her get much further with her tree, so many other people on there following threads of the same tree.

I've been using Legacy software for about 4 years. The basic package is available for free download is seems to be fully-featured. The only issue for a Brit is that while the UK norm is to draw charts vertically (ie from top to bottom) the US norm seems to run horizontally (ie from left to right (or right to left)) in displaying the generations. But you soon get used to it.

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/

On-line subscription facilities are not a substitute for having your own database. They allow you to make contact with others researching the same individuals and family lines, which is extremely valuable. Genealogy depends heavily on people mutually sharing information. Apart from anything else it's the only way you're likely to make contact with long lost cousins etc.

Thanks woadrage.

I will download, and try it. Thanks for the input. I appreciate that online software has its place o fill. Giving insight into others trees around the world, however if your own family members dont subscribe to the site in question, then they cannot view.

This has always been my issue.

I have a feeling I can view my mums tree without suscibing at Genes Reunited (or at least I use to be able too), I thought the subsciption was only to be able to do searches etc and message people. I could be wrong though

if you haven't come across this site yet it will be an excellent resource . Lots of links and info about software. Best to ask there or pick up any Family History magazine and they are full of adverts for tree making software.
rootschat family history forums

Thanks Jimmy.

Cheers Peanuts.

I will have a look.

Ah looks like I was wrong :(

Before you can view this member's tree

Before you can view 's tree, you need to upgrade your membership.

Then you'll be able to send unlimited messages and view family trees of members who share your family history.

Full membership costs only £9.95 GBP for 6 months

Thats a shame :( (and that price seems to have doubled since I last visited too!)

Back