Beginner Geminids Meteor Shower

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I am still learning how to best cope with light pollution, and am a novice when it comes to photographing the night sky. I have just managed to capture my first shooting star tonight courtesy of the Geminids meteor shower in the back garden, sky is full of the things.

OK it looks like a scratch in the attached, but I'm pleased (easily it seems) and it's step in a new direction for me. Regretting being too lazy to swap my flip-flops for something warmer...:pics:

8N2A3378-1-2 by Mr Seahorse, on Flickr

The stars are nice in thmselves. Took me a while to spot the shooting star but well done for catching it. Were there many? :)

I was in the garden a little after 1 am, there were plenty, mostly directly overhead. It's far more prominent before pp, but then there's an orange sky with few stars....

Nice shot. Good that you've got all of Orion too.
I was out looking too but, as you say, light pollution was an issue and the camera didn't capture many. Only the very brightest ones. Visually though, it was one of the best meteor showers I've seen I think.

Geminids%20Dec%2014.PNG

Screen-shot of the un-processed original ;)

Last edited:
Boy it was cold last night this was my best the bright star is Sirius ,overall I saw quite a few but did not get many at all.

Rob.

Saw a few myself but didn't capture any.
@pompey306mark without seeing the original files I would guess that what you thought were meteors were a flare from a pair of satellites (possibly Iridium or NOSS) judging by the distance apart and the flare. It would be my guess that if you look through the files then the two of these flares would be within 2 mins of each other. I have photo's like this. But then again I could be wrong on this occasion. :)

Last edited:
Saw a few, including one very bright one. But only managed to capture three, of which this was the best. It didn't help that frost started forming on the front of the lens around 02:00.

Geminid.jpg

I sat out from about 10pm through to midnight and it was bloomin freezing.
Visually, as mentioned by @Leebert it was one of the best shows I've seen with some quite spectacular and very bright showers....

Sadly though, in a scene akin to something like a 'kit-kat' advert, they were ALWAYS wherever the camera was not pointing. :mad:

I had a few instances passing through the camera, with this one managing to get 2 in 1 exposure - for 2 hours "work" it's not great, but I should be grateful for getting anything!!! :snaphappy:

View attachment 26876

Back