Get's kinda addictive this HDR thing

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I would revisit some low contrast images that never quite cut the mustard from my Aerials set and give them the tone mapping treatment to see if they could be rescued.

This is the first one to get a makeover. Can I have some thoughts please before I waste more time on this. Don't hold back.

Set01HDRI1RawsFrom_IMG_0971_hdr_-_Tone_mapped.jpg

Wow, I really like it,

Can we have a look at the original please so we can see the difference?

Loving the lighting and composition.

WOW! what a dfference. Now I'm going to have to give it a try.

Great :)

How did you do HDR without multiple exposures?

How did you do HDR without multiple exposures?

Photomatix will create an HDR from a single RAW file. You need to use the File/Automate command. Then Tone Map as normal. I set white and black clip to zero, can't remember other settings.

I adjusted shadow/highlight, levels and curves in PS.

Photomatix will create an HDR from a single RAW file. You need to use the File/Automate command. Then Tone Map as normal. I set white and black clip to zero, can't remember other settings.

I adjusted shadow/highlight, levels and curves in PS.

Ahhhh right this is new to me I will check it out thanks :)

I have used HDR in photoshop using autobracketed images and I wasn't really impressed. Will try out this photomatrix software.

Ta

neither does mine!

I didn't know that photomatix would work with a single raw file!

Learn something new everyday, although I prefer CS2's HDR function. Photomatix just doesn't produce a subtle enough effect for my tastes.

Having said that though, it has worked wonders here!

Could be File/Batch or something like that. I was working from (a very flawed) memory.

The help screen that comes up at the start tells you - if you haven't suppressed it already.

:)

Gary

I thought Photomatix only worked from TIFF files although I don't think I have the latest version.

A method I use where I haven't taken three bracketed exposures is..

Open original TIFF file and save it to desktop.
Lower the gamma in the TIFF file to about 0.70 (1.00 is neutral) Save that file to desktop with 'dark' added to file name.

Undo gamma on your file, increase it to 1.3 and save that file with 'Light' added to the file name.

Open the 3 files in Photomatix and process as normal.

You can follow the same routine using jpegs, but saving your three adjusted versions as TIFFS.

it only converts raws in the batch processing bit Ced. And it's a bit hit and miss from my so far limited experience. They keep coming out PINK!!!!!!!!!!

Nice shot. The tone mapping has really added something to it (y)

Back