GFX card, which one?

Do you have a decent PSU because they're hungry cards.

I'd suggest an ATI 4850, it's what I'd go for. But that's partly because I have a crossfire motherboard.

That board supports crossfire (multi-card, ati only)

ATI are like Nvidia, just a different colour :D

Alot of games are optimised for Nvidia but it's only Crysis that really shows it.

What make PSU is it? That'll be plenty for two cards if it's a decent make.

...But what make is it? ;)

What's to worry about? Except wiping clean the old Nvidia drivers before installing the ATI card

But still, that Nvidia is a good card. Even though it's a rebranded 8800 (getting old now really)

Staying loyal to one brand will only shoot yourself in the foot as you wont get the best performance/price ratio.

I wouldn't worry about switching to ATI, in fact im looking to move back to them again once I am finished with my old Nvidia 7800.
I was using an ati R9800 before that and I do tend to miss that card.

Against the nvidia you linked to, it scores higher in performance.

Mhz means nothing when comparing real performance.
IE, an Intel Core2Duo at 1.8ghz is quicker then a P4 Dual Core at 3.06ghz purely due to better design.

Same applies to videocards.

If you would like a review comparison have a look at this site.

http://www.techspot.com/review/103-asus-radeon-4850/

Some games do favour the 9800 gtx but others favour the 4850.

I got the information on the review I linked to a moment ago.
At the moment i'm not sure if having 1gb is worth it, but maybe in a year to 18 months time it could pay off.
I'm expecting future games like Alan Wake will be demanding more texture space on the video card as it is going to be extremely detailed and complex.

Depends on what resolutution you play at. Anything under 1680x**** and the 512mb is fine.

I have a nice 24" screen so 1920x1200 would be nice.
its a touch choice for me, 512mb or 1gb. Games are important as I like to play.

A 1GB 4850, make doesn't matter.

I wouldn't cross that bridge untill you start seeing slowdown in games though. Be a waste of money at the moment. Pick one up second hand in a years time for bargain basement money.

ok, thanks, you have been a great help.

Ive had Asus boards before and they have been good. The cards are good too?

well its all ordered, plus all the other parts needed for a system im building someone else.

Thanks for all the info, now I need to sort out drivers for the ATI and say bye bye to Nvidia.... :(

Back