Gig photography (updated with processing)

Edit My Images
Yes
This was my first day with my SLR and probably a bit disapointed.
Original shots deleted from gallery as I was unhappy with them, new images posted further down thread
Got some indoor shots of a live band.

Camera (350D) with nifty fifty on Manual
F1.8, ISO 1600, 1/80
AF Mode - AI Focus

Not the best on stage lighting and band members were stood behind each other. The colour shots were really bad, but I've cropped and randomly changed them to BW and Sepia.

To my untrained eye there are two major issues:
Focus
Quality ie. grainy

Would be grateful of any tips/advice on how to improve my future technique, there are more in my gallery aswell!

Regards

Last edited:
I like the last image - shows the mood. You say it is your first day with your SLR and you are disappointed. You shouldnt be - You have chosen one of the hardest subjects and for a first go - well done! Grainy is not an issue. Assuming you had a high ISO to capture in low light the grain just adds mood. Look forward to seeing some more!

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll be hoping to get out again tomorrow so maybe I'll try ISO 800 first, does there seem to be any obvious focusing issues that I can work on?

Unless you spend £3000 theres no choice about grain with gig photography (unless you use flash which imo kills the picture) which is lucky becase it does add to the image, especially in black and white. Im still new to this but im assuming the softness is due to the low shutter speed. I might be wrong though

Cheers Luke,

I have sharpened them up a bit now with software but I will try a faster shutter next time.

It may be worth experimenting with different metering modes I find that spot metering is for me is better in low light conditions also the noise at iso 1600 is more than twice as bad as iso800 but this is on a Nikon D70..canon may be different...and if all else fails, then try noise ninja to remove some of the noise in the pictures.

Levels adjusted and all sharpened:
myalamo02.jpg

Photo19.jpg

Above pic now edited to that shown below............improvement?

mandrillbweditguitsar.jpg

bigbus4.jpg

MyAlamo01.jpg

Theres more in my Gallery!

Last edited:
To my untrained eye there are two major issues:
Focus
Quality ie. grainy

In the general scheme of things these are very good for a first attempt!

The focus is certainly out on the majority of the shots - it's best to focus on the main subject and then compose the shot.

Grain isn't really a problem in live music shots as most photographers will be shooting at 1600 with slow shutter speeds anyway.

Stage lighting will always be a problem in small venues and it's only really in very large venues where you can start to bring the ISO rating down and get better quality and less noise.

Someone else mentioned "Noise Ninja" but having worked on the editorial teams of a few UK magazines, I would say don't even consider it and the magazine staff would rather have the grainy/noisy shot than anything treated with Noise Ninja.

When live shots are printed as part of a review or other piece the print size is always too small to show up excessive noise anyway.

However, shots treated with Noise Ninja and similar software always come out looking "posterized" if heavily treated. The design and layout staff on any magazine or newspaper will always have access to better software themselves, than you will, so it's important to leave that sort of treatment up to them if they deem it necessary.

Leave everything in colour as well and let someone else make the decision to convert.

Obviously, if the shots are just for your own amusement - do whatever you want!

pg32

Its a bloody difficult thing to do, im looking into getting a Sigma 30mm F1.4 for mainly that purpose. tbh i think you done well mate!

Thanks to all for the input.

CaptPeng.

Re the processing - all I did was change to greyscale/sepia and sharpen the second batch

What were the lighting conditions like at that gig?
Did you use flash?

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the input.

CaptPeng.

Re the processing - all I did was change to greyscale/sepia and sharpen the second batch

What were the lighting conditions like at that gig?
Did you use flash?

Lighting was just a few spots and no I did not use flash,I did however shoot in RAW and did a fair bit of work in Photoshop to get detail into the shadows.I also exposed for the mid tones rather than the highlights and that seemed to help the final image.

I'm pleased with the outdoor ones but wish I had a longer lens to capture similar, they are fairly small crops from bigger photo's.

Last edited:
That last one is fantastic! A huge improvement on your old ones.

How are you managing to go to all these gigs!?

Artfest in Birmingham!

2 days of indoor and outdoor gigs

Re the last one its outdoor in daylight which makes the difference

trigger, I guessed by the photos you were at artsfest. Were you shooting from the crowed or were you lucky enough to get a media pass?

trigger, I guessed by the photos you were at artsfest. Were you shooting from the crowed or were you lucky enough to get a media pass?

Nah from the crowd!....wouldnt know anything about media passes.

I've only owned my camera for about about 2 weeks!

Maybe next year!, I want to get into gig photography because at the moment I play guitar in a band, but I want to set something up so in the future I can still be involved in music/gigs even if I'm on the other side of the stage.

I take it you were there?

Yeh, I was there for all 3 days.
Was lucky enough to have a media pass so was on the other side of the fence. Just got a small mountain of photos to finish sorting now.

The photos you posted above are very good considering you have only had your camera for 2 weeks as some of the venues were not very easy to shoot in.

Yeh, I was there for all 3 days.
Was lucky enough to have a media pass so was on the other side of the fence. Just got a small mountain of photos to finish sorting now.

The photos you posted above are very good considering you have only had your camera for 2 weeks as some of the venues were not very easy to shoot in.

Cheers........ obviously I've owned cameras before but this is my first SLR

There was a lot there to photograph not just music, would be interested to see what results you got from the Yardbird/Flapper
:D

The Flapper was one of the venues I didn't get any photos in this time :( Kerrang were keeping me busy most of the time.

Hi Penguin, been to the Robin 2 a few times not for a while though.

Last time was to see Peter Green and the Splinter group a few years back!

very good for first attempt, last one is very good, well done :clap:

Back