Review Giottos MTL9351B Tripod

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Here is a review of my recently purchased Giottos Tripod.

Craigseat-1333.jpg

The Giottos web site product description says:
"All the benefits of the Vertical Column tripods with the added benefit of being able to move the column from its vertical position through a 180 degree angle and lock where required. This feature, when combined with the variable leg angle settings, now offers you the capability to position your camera exactly where you need it to achieve that perfect close-up shot. Available in either aluminium or carbon fibre for even lighter weight."

My version is Aluminium, with a Giotto MH1302 series ball head.

The tripod weighs in at 2.1 kg including the head, this is less than the published weight on Gittos web site. Checked my scales and 1kg is 1kg. There are lighter tripods on the market, but not of this quality. The Manfrotto 190XProB is marginally lighter but not by much.

It is a traditional three leg section tripod, with a manually rising centre column. There are no centre stays.

The centre column can positioned horizontally, by raising the centre column, releasing a screw, rotating a collar on top of the tripod and replacing the centre column. This is quite a simple operation once you have done it a couple of times.

Craigseat-1317.jpg

In this position the horizontal boom can be swung around through 360 degrees and locked in any position using the round thing under the tripod.

The Tripod is well made, as you expect from Giottos, and feels sturdy in the conventional or horizontal configuration.

Craigseat-1319.jpg

The legs can be opened up into three angles, the lowest one shown allow the tripod to get pretty low. (y)

Craigseat-1326.jpg

The legs are opened by releasing a latch on the top of each leg. These latches just slide out, shown below.
Padding is provided on the legs for comfortable carrying and also helps for those cold winter mornings.

Craigseat-1320.jpg

Craigseat-1324.jpg

In order to use the Tripod in it's lowest setting, the centre column has to be removed. A short stub column is provided to put in place of the centre column. That is what is sitting on top of the tripod in the image below.

Craigseat-1327.jpg

Before the tripod can be used like this, the top plate has to be removed from the centre column and attached to the stub piece, it is held in place by an alan key. Gitoo provide a little tool set with the tripod including an Allan key. It would have been better if the stub piece came with it's own top plate. :thumbsdown:

Craigseat-1330.jpg

There are some nice design touches on this tripod, for eample the nurlled knob on the right of the image above is a small latch that holds the stub column in place even when the tightening screw is loose, allowing the stub to rotate and not fallout. Another example is the O ring at the top of both the vertical column and the stub column to prevent a metal on metal crack if you accidentally drop the column.

The leg latches are the flip up to release type, it is possible to adjust the tightness of the latches using the Giottos tool kit. All the latches and screw heads feel tough and sturdy. (y)

Craigseat-1325.jpg

The bottom leg section is apparently sealed, unlike some of the competitor products. This was a big selling point for me because I often use my tripod on the shore line and often in the surf. I can not ascertain how this sealing is effected unless it is simply the rubber feet on each leg which appear to be on pretty tight. :clap:

Overall the tripod is well built and at £90 (Tripod only) is priced competitively against tripods of a similar quality (like the Manfrotto 190 XProB). (y)

The price is for the tripod only, no bag or strap provided. :thumbsdown:

I bought mine at a local edinburgh camera store (Camerabase - great service) and paid internet prices.

I bought it with the MH1302 ball head - because I prefer the ball head design.

I like the Giottos tripods very much and use the discontinued MT-8180 with the MH-1300 Head and MH-657 Arca Compatible quick release.

I really like the way that the Giottos tripods are built and I like the way they articuate so you can position your camera just about any place.

I chose the MTL3271B over the adjustable column version as i found it to be alot more rigid as from what i saw when comparing them. The leg Diamater have been reduced to keep weight down which increased the flex in the legs. I also noticed that it sacrificed height for the adjustable column series as well.

This is by no means ripping into the review. It is still a very capable tripod and if there was a adjustable column tripod with the same rigidity as the one i got, i would have chosen that one. (obviously at a reasonable price)

Not to dissimilar to the Manfrotto 055xprob that I have. Though the centre column looks a little more easier to use on the Giottos and less restrictive than the Manfrotto. Good review and thanks for taking the time to review it(y)

Great review, this is the alternative to the manfrotto 190xprob that i am looking at. How is the tripod holding up? How does it compare to the 190xprob? is it as stable? well made? better value for money? I cannot find anywhere locally that stocks them to try one.

does it have a safetly latch at the bottom of the centre column incase it was no tightened correctly like the manfrotto?

Back