Giottos Tripod Legs.

33L

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
How do people rate these legs.

My darling wife went and put a deposit down on a pair of legs for our anniversary - how sweet.

I can't remember the model number of the top of my head. The guy in the shop (who i trust) said they were trying to compete with the monfrotto's. I gave the wife the 055 range as a benchmark.

I went in on saturday to view it and i'm quite impressed and along side the 055 proB or whatever it is. The Giottos 3 peice leg only needs to be extended 2 sections before its a comfortable height. Its alu legs are thicker and seem much more stable than the 055's at full extension (my comfortable height).
Bonus is that i can slap a monfrotto 322 RC2 head on it with no worries and i shoud have a good paltform.

Has anyone got any of thier own reviews or opinions on this brand of tripods?

Wierder than a wierd thing, haven never heard of them before, I have just left Black and Lizars and seen about 10 of them in the sale!!!

Sorry not helping, but tis strange! :)

Gary.

I've heard nothing but good about Giotto 'pods, so I doubt you've done anything wrong there- they've got a very good reputation.

I have one of their carbon fibre monopods and chose it over a Gitzo due to price, the build quailty and materials used are on a par, I would say you dont have to worry about them.

thats good news - i onlyjust found out that they are nocking off £20 for the 322 Head aswell if bought with a tripod - will have to see if can add that on to the purchase as well.

I have a Giotto monopod, it is a good bit of kit. If the tripods are as well built, you`ll be fine.

Hopefully this will be a tripod i will be happy with for a long time too.can't wait to give it a go.(y)

(even though it's designed in a way not to do anything:thinking:)

They came out top in a recent mag review (can't remember which one). I bought one on the basis of the review and it's terrific. Well made easy to use lightweight. Can't think of a downside but probably haven't owned it long enough to find out if it's lacking anywhere.

If i have a lens of about 2.5KG and my camera with grip probably about 1KG would it be safe to use the 322 RC2 head. From what i have known the weight rating is slightly optimistic when quoted and this head is quoted at 5KG and i'm a bit worried.

Try out the head before buying. I prefer a ball-head, which allows you to slacken off slightly to reframe whereas with the trigger-action heads you have to keep gripping to adjust, plus a ball-head or gimbal would be more suitable for a heavy setup.

I haven't got the lens to test, im just trying to future proof the purhcase. I have looked at the 393 and can see that being used with the big lens i am planning on buying however its not very good for landscape work and i though this might be a suitable all-rounder obviously with compomises.

I can still pan/track with my left hand whilst triggering with the right. its quick and easy to adjust for landscape work as well.

I have a Giotto's P-Pod monopod it has three spindly little legs to form a type of tripod ideal to set a flash up on but not trust it to a camera unless I was holding it as well. You can attach two of the legs to the neck of the monopod to give you support 'sniper style' if you know what I mean. Its great and wouldnt trade it even for a carbon fibre type.

I also have the older MT-9170 tripod (they have redesigned it slightly) and a MH1001-200 ball head, neither of them I would trade, combined they will take 10KG and no heavier than the 055prob, I think your making a great choice.

I haven't tried CF legs to the point of going walking for miles etc and seeing if the weight saved justifies the price premium but. I was really impressed with the legs and turned down another Giotto legs with the fully adjustable center column as it wasnt as sturdy.

I am just toying now on which head!

I would think CF's main advantages are to the sellers, but for us the material can damp vibrations and isn't cold to the touch. The weight saving is minimal.

In Manfrotto heads I have the 488RC4 and 410 geared (both share the same plate) plus both the joysticks, and I think the 488 is the best for most purposes, as well as cheapest.

I have the 9371 tripod and 7302 ball head and I'm really impressed by both of them.

They are solidly built, everything fits together nicely and there is no sag/creep (or whatever you call it) from the ball head, even with a 580EX + 17-55 lens fitted sideways.

Also on the head part, the knobs for tightening everything have a kind of damped feel to them and the base of the ball head swivells really smoothly.

It also comes with quite a nice bag too.

It is quite large though, and because of that, it is fairly hefty but they do do smaller models.

the legs i am getting are the 3271B

Back