Gitzo Légende Travel Tripod

The free spare parts sound interesting, given how much they normally charge for replacement parts, what's the catch?

I’ve just noticed it’s now live. £374 for the tripod is pretty good. If I didn’t already have a Gitzo travel tripod I’d be thinking of supporting this.

Sounds about the same price as the Anniversary edition then.

Gitzo/Manfrotto always have massively inflated RRP that comes down quickly.
How many paid the full price for the anniversary edition? I know I didn’t as the price was crazy. I only got it as it was on sale later for less than their standard travel tripod.

Last edited:
The standard Series 1 Traveler + head kit started out at £699 (I got mine for £599 after one of those complicated rebates where you had to trade in a junk tripod). It's currently £539, so like the limited offer on the Anniversary, the Legende is a very good deal. I see they are still listing the Anniversary at £1250 (!), though it's out of stock. I would jump on the Legende at £376 if I needed a Traveler. Only 39 left at that price...

How does this sort of thing work please?

How does this sort of thing work please?
You extend the legs, lock them in place, and screw your camera to the top. :).

Sign up to Indiegogo, read the T&Cs, back the project and choose the tripod as your 'perk'. There are only 25 left right now. As with Kickstarter, Indiegogo projects can have a level of risk if it all goes pear shaped, but in this case it's a major company running the campaign as a promotion, rather than some bloke with a 3D printer in his garage trying to get a dubious gadget off the ground. I would go for it if I didn't already have the regular version.

Last edited:
You extend the legs, lock them in place, and screw your camera to the top. :).

Sign up to Indiegogo, read the T&Cs, back the project and choose the tripod as your 'perk'. There are only 25 left right now. As with Kickstarter, Indiegogo projects can have a level of risk if it all goes pear shaped, but in this case it's a major company running the campaign as a promotion, rather than some bloke with a 3D printer in his garage trying to get a dubious gadget off the ground. I would go for it if I didn't already have the regular version.

I asked for that didn't I? :)

Thanks, been thinking about a new tripod and this one looks just the job.

On the first package they offered they kept adding units as they were getting close to running out, I think it started off at 100 but ended up going to 200. So probably no desperate rush if anyone is still undecided and do keep in mind Indiegogo doesn't guarantee you'll receive a product (although it seems unlikely Gitzo would screw anyone over).

The first package at £500 was for a tripod kit, backpack and a mini traveller which seems like pretty good value for Gitzo, just the GK1545T kit (which I think is essentially last years version) retails at over £500.

There's no mention of VAT though, the listing does say free of duties but does that mean the price is VAT inclusive in Europe? I can't see this clarified anywhere and I'm so accustomed these days to the dollar price being a straight conversion to the sterling price (although Gitzo tends to be more expensive stateside).

Good point about VAT. If that's extra, it brings the price to over £450 (but still nearly £90 cheaper than the regular kit). But they name only specific countries in the campaign (including the UK) - it may be that fulfillment is just handled by the local Gitzo distributor in the normal way, so £376 would be the final price.

Last edited:
Looking through the specs they’ve released it seems similar to the GT1545 traveller tripod. I like the idea they are making spares available for ‘lifetime’ as it’s much better to repair a product than replace it. The two leg angles is nice. My Gitzo traveller tripod has one main leg angle and one that makes it nearly flat to the floor. I’d love one that about in between the two (maybe 45 degrees). The friction control on the head is nice too. That’s only available on the slightly larger traveller series 2 head.

My only concern with the legende design are the metal twist locks. They will be cold to the touch in winter and when the legs are folded back they could rub on the head. It’s only a minor concern considering the early bird price.

As I already have a Gitzo traveller tripod I won’t be getting one but if I didn’t I’d be considering one as the Gitzo traveller tripod always come at the top of any traveller tripod reviews.

Back