Gitzo traveller tripods-user opinions

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m thinking of getting a small gitzo traveller tripod (most likely trying to find a used one as prices aren’t cheap) and would like to heard the opinions of anyone who has and uses one.

I looked at them whilst at the photography show and compared against other manufacturers. The gitzo travellers did seem to more stable although admittedly there’s a higher cost to that.

I’m specially looking at the series one traveller GK1545T with the 82-TQD Head. Size and weight looks fantastic but I’m worried it won’t be stable enough for the lenses I’m planning to use. I’ve recently go to Sony with a 24-105 and 70-200 f4. For landscapes I would be locking the tripod. For wildlife I may use it with a 100-400 though it wouldn’t need to be locked as it would be more for support.

I’m trying to downsize gear at present. I’ve found I’m less inclined to want to take heavy/large equipment out if the plan is to walk several miles (I don’t find it fun carrying 10kg+ of gear up and down hills etc). Photography is a hobby so i need to enjoy it rather than being put off doing it. Potentially this could become my main tripod as if its small and light I will be more inclined to take it with me than something bigger and heavier.

If anyone has the smaller traveller tripods with the smaller TQD head it would be great to hear what they think of them.

Well you probably know I just got mine, not actually used it in the wild yet but first impressions are good. It seems to have all the important aspect down. Size, weight and build quality.

Note that it doesn’t come with a bag, only a strap. Depends how you want to carry it, it might not matter.

Well you probably know I just got mine, not actually used it in the wild yet but first impressions are good. It seems to have all the important aspect down. Size, weight and build quality.

Note that it doesn’t come with a bag, only a strap. Depends how you want to carry it, it might not matter.
I didnt know that. What one did you get? Size, weight and build quality are definitely the main reasons I’m looking at them. I’m not worried about a bag as that would only ever be used for storage. I tested one at the show and found it fitted perfectly down the side of my f stop guru backpack. It fitted in the bottle side pouch and was held securely in place with the strap further up. My only worry is the size I should go for. I liked the extra size of series 2 and larger QD head (friction control would be nice) but the smaller series 1 and TQD head would probably be more in my price range.

I got the one you enquired about the 1545T with the 820TQD head.

NvpDvnZ.jpg

qNiHeiF.jpg

Everything is very smooth, no creaking, the twist lock is really nice, very grippy. All the materials are 1st grade. It folds down to very neatly and protects the head. It is small but I have something smaller and 50% lighter.

The Gitzo opens up taller than my eye line so that is as far as I will ever need to go for me.

O4If4wb.jpg

With the TQD I feel there's a decent amount of friction that progressively decreases as you loosen the knob. It's very different to my old Leitz head, which also lacks an independent friction control but really is 'all or nothing'. But this is probably something you have to try for yourself (I recall one reviewer found the transition on the TQD a little too sudden when unlocking, especially with a heavy camera, though not to a problematic extent. On the other hand, I've also read a review that found the extra friction adjuster on the larger Gitzo heads too easy to move by mistake).

I'd probably prefer a bit less friction with the TQD panning base, which (at least on my copy) goes from fully locked to fairly heavily damped, and no looser - I'm curious if Raymond sees the same. The Arca-style clamp is very nice - Gitzo should have adopted this years ago.

Other comments: The 1545T is the most rigid and well-constructed lightweight tripod I've tried. As above, it comes up to my eyeline (and even a little beyond with a largeish SLR mounted on an L-bracket - I almost wish it were marginally smaller so I could extend all the sections all the way without thinking about it, but this won't be a problem for most of you!). The legs need only a slight twist to lock or unlock - don't keep going unless you want to disassemble the thing for maintenance (or see how nicely it's put together). One trivial point - mine had a loose rubber o-ring in the box, which turned out to fit in a groove in the plug at the bottom of the centre column (perhaps to stop the hard plastic of the plug contacting the legs if they are closed with the column down). This looks like the sort of thing that will one day come off again and get lost, probably to be replaced by an equivalent tap ring from B&Q (I bet Gitzo buys standard off-the-shelf rings). You get a strap and minimal cloth drawstring bag in the box - I now have the Gitzo case (actually a Series 2 case is suggested even for the Series 1 tripod - maybe the tubes have been beefed up a bit in this version), which is nice but overpriced for an accessory, and really should be included with the tripod. There are no spikes, just feet. You can register online to extend the guarantee to 5 years.

Last edited:
I use the older Gitzo G1550T and it is very good. However it has 5 leg sections so is slower to set up and not quite as rigid as it might be. A 4 leg section version (like Raymond Lin's) is a better option in this respect - having said that mine was cheap!

Whist a Gitzo Traveller will cope with your 70-200 it is not ideal and will be even less so for a 100-400. The weight is not going to worry it (Gitzo severely underestimate weight capacities) it is the vibration damping which will not be ideal. It is very much down to your photography needs and what you are willing to pay for + carry. When using my 100-400 I use a Gitzo GT2531 Mountaineer. It weighs 1.4 Kilos but does not fold up very short - not an issue for me, but it may be for you?

Anyway keep an eye out for Gitzo offers and scour the used market! Good luck....

Just a note that Gitzo also have a 100 year anniversary model, which they have discounted heavily (since the anniversary was last year).
Looks to be very similar in spec to the Traveller, and also in price (now it's discounted).
Only 4 left (I suspect not many sold at full price!)

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/100-year-anniversary-edition

Just came here to say the same thing, plus an additional 15% off with PHOTOSHOW2019 promo code, makes it just under £510!

Just came here to say the same thing, plus an additional 15% off with PHOTOSHOW2019 promo code, makes it just under £510!
If I didn't have the regular version I'd jump on that! Apart from the cosmetics, the main difference seems to be the Mg spider, which I guess accounts for the 100g weight reduction.

I use a 1542T + Arca Swiss P0 for everything up to my 5x4 camera and I don't have any complaints. It has a longer center column (with a hook) compared to the newer versions so when I travel with it I remove the head so the total length is 42cm.

cRM3P2g.jpg

Just a note that Gitzo also have a 100 year anniversary model, which they have discounted heavily (since the anniversary was last year).
Looks to be very similar in spec to the Traveller, and also in price (now it's discounted).
Only 4 left (I suspect not many sold at full price!)

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/100-year-anniversary-edition

Damn, that's the same spec as the 1545T except it's not as bling weirdly and with the text on the legs.

Although who would buy this for £1200 !?

Damn, that's the same spec as the 1545T except it's not as bling weirdly and with the text on the legs.

Although who would buy this for £1200 !?

It's more bling to me as it's different to every other Gitzo I've had, there's bling in the packaging too!

I certainly wouldn't pay £1200 for it! ;)

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 15.18.09.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had seen the 1545T version somewhere for £589 (can’t seem to find it on the phone-edit just found it, it was SRS Microsystems). I had seen the 100yr model previously, it’s a little different and a little lighter too which is nice. The price at £509 with the discount is great too. Ive just ordered one, hopefully they still have stock of it as it’s only showing 2 left (same before and after my order was placed).

Last edited:
Bargain of the month! I wonder if it's a sort of prototype for the next Traveler - have they used that magnesium spider on anything else?

The tripod arrived today and I’ve had a play with it in the house. Initially it was like opening a set of Russia dolls, as it was packed in 3 boxes before the presentation box. The presentation box was a work of art, its the most amazing box I’ve seen for a tripod as it has a hinged half section with the tripod and 2 accesory boxes in a hinged top box.

The tripod is slightly smaller than the series 2 tripods i was looking at at the photography show. The TQD head is smaller than the QD head but feels sturdy and well built. There is also a degree of friction control on the locking knob that means it doesn’t flop around.

The tripod legs feel good, the last leg section is a bit thin but should be ok. They fold back over the head nicely to make a small package that fits in the side pocket of my camera or hiking bag. The only negatives I can see is its possible to unscrew the removable feet at the same time as undoing the leg twist clamps. I’m sure i will get used to it and wont do this often but it could have been solved by having an opposite direction thread on the feet. I’ve also noticed there is only the one leg angle with the long centre column. There is a second leg angle that can make the tripod lay nearly flat if you use the short centre column accessory. It would be nice to have a third angle but I guess thats not possible with the leg diameter.

Overall its a nice tripod. It’s a great size and is so light (1317g without the Arca Swiss camera plate). Thanks @Faldrax and @Unlocker for the heads up on this and the extra discount. I’ve noticed today they have sold out of these tripods. That’s not unexpected for the price they were selling them for.

I love mine, bought it on here about 18 months ago, and it's been brilliant. It has even supported my X-T2, grip & 100-400 on the odd occasion. Really glad I bought it, but the one thing I wish is that I could find a short centre stalk. Sometimes I like to get down quite low, and when you push the legs out wide, the centre stalk hits the ground.

I love mine, bought it on here about 18 months ago, and it's been brilliant. It has even supported my X-T2, grip & 100-400 on the odd occasion. Really glad I bought it, but the one thing I wish is that I could find a short centre stalk. Sometimes I like to get down quite low, and when you push the legs out wide, the centre stalk hits the ground.

If your tripod is similar to the GK100T the short centre column part number is D108618. Looks like it’s avaible at manfrotto spares:

https://www.manfrottospares.com/d108618-short-column/

Back