Give DSLR (Nikon) one more chance or switch to mirrorless?

Lol no! Not yet! Really don’t want to give up my Nikon lenses Tamron 15-30G2 28e 58g 105e 70-200e but they can be frustrating to use with the D810. They can also be a joy!
In what way are they frustrating (apart from the zoom and focus ring being the wrong way around on the 70-200e ;))?
I have but I dislike adapted lenses, they look a bit silly on the adapter and can be unbalanced. I don’t think I’d be getting the best af experience, which is ultimately what I’m after.
TBH most are OK with the adapter, but the 70-200mm does feel unbalanced.
Is mirrorless really there yet, to compete with the likes of the D850 or even D810?
I have to say that I have noticed some who have switched to mirrorless just not posting images of the same quality that they used to.
Not in terms of AF. I can't see any difference in IQ between my Z7 and D850, although AF-S on the Z7 nails focus better imo meaning the images can appear that touch sharper.

In what way? Sensor performance or AF?
I can’t say because I’ve not used one, just my observation of images posted by some who have made the change. Could be user of course, or camera, or available lenses.

I can’t say because I’ve not used one, just my observation of images posted by some who have made the change. Could be user of course, or camera, or available lenses.

I think from an AF and sensor POV MILC are flexing their muscles now, its taken some time but they are at a stage where they are exceeding DSLR performance in the same formats (obviously going from FF to M43 youre going to see IQ differences but perhaps the user is happy with the compromise and saving their backs and bank balances). As you say, it could also be a number of other things, change in PP, familiarity, type of lens etc.

Is mirrorless really there yet, to compete with the likes of the D850 or even D810?
I have to say that I have noticed some who have switched to mirrorless just not posting images of the same quality that they used to.
Yes and no.
Af seems to be a dead heat between the D850 and Sony A7r3 with the d850 being better for sports and the Sony being better for eye af and place your subject anywhere in the frame. Some good comparison vids out there.

Whilst I understand the D850 to have (a lot) better af than the D810 I’m not complaining about the d810’s af performance as such it’s fine when using a centrally placed cross point af sensor but moving away from centre and it can be frustrating at shallow dof. If I shot landscapes/architecture like I used we wouldn’t be having this convo but I’ve started to love shallow dof portraits!

Last edited:
Yes and no.
Af seems to be a dead heat between the D850 and Sony A7r3 with the d850 being better for sports and the Sony being better for eye af and place your subject anywhere in the frame. Some good comparison vids out there.
Battery life about 1/3rd of D850 but that may or may not be important to you.
How much would you lose in changing?

Do not believe the battery rated life, I got 1600 shots with my previous camera, A73 incl some video and had 20% left in a charge, same battery.

No the battery life on the a73’s changed For the better in a big way!

I don’t see the D850 or the milc as better or worse, just different needs to suit different people.

Yes and no.

Whilst I understand the D850 to have (a lot) better af than the D810 I’m not complaining about the d810’s af performance as such it’s fine when using a centrally placed cross point af sensor but moving away from centre and it can be frustrating at shallow dof. If I shot landscapes/architecture like I used we wouldn’t be having this convo but I’ve started to love shallow dof portraits!

I think there is larger gap in eyeAF in terms of what Sony can do than the gap for sports shooting where the gap is smaller between the two.

If you mostly shoot humans you'll have better time with Sony, if you mostly shoot birds then D850 will be better.

D850 IMO ... not much learning curve, use existing glass, have THE best DSLR ever made

Fixed that for you :D

And yeah - I'd buy the D850 or 3 if I wasn't happy with my 3 D810's and D800.

And yes I own and have amassed a ridiculous amount of cameras

Last edited:
Fixed that for you :D

And yeah - I'd buy the D850 or 3 if I wasn't happy with my 3 D810's and D800.

And yes I own and have amassed a ridiculous amount of cameras
I’d be happy with mine too if I did landscapes D810 is an ace camera.

Im going to buy a Sony RX100(6) to tide me over for a while once my D810 is sold as I don’t want to rush this decision and this will allow me some time to sell off my lenses if I decide to go mirrorless.

I tend to agree, if you can go native and need the best AF performance then thats the best way to do it.
And if that's what a Nikon or Canon user is going to do, might as well buy the best.. Sony :D lol

I’d be happy with mine too if I did landscapes D810 is an ace camera.

Im going to buy a Sony RX100(6) to tide me over for a while once my D810 is sold as I don’t want to rush this decision and this will allow me some time to sell off my lenses if I decide to go mirrorless.
Have you tried an RX100? Very 'fiddly' to use once you're used to a DSLR.

Well my head said Sony A7Riii and my heart said Nikon D850. Both were in my virtual basket and both were very nearly bought.

Possibly against my better judgment I went with my heart, so am staying DSLR for the time being.

An rx100(6) did accidentally fall into my basket too and shopkeeper said I had to buy it because I touched it so I still get to sample delights of eye af and across frame af and ... gosh hope I made the right decision....;)

FWIW my Sony basket contained

A7Riii
Tamron 17-28 2.8
Sony 35 1.4
Sony 85 1.8
Sony 135 1.8
Sony flash 45 rm

I'm strangely back at this point.....I had a brief flirt with the Sony A7R but honestly hated the damn thing despite a couple of nice features.
Looking at the Fuji GFX 50S Mirrorless Medium Format but the lenses are damn expensive so need to have a serious think.
Decisions decisions.

Have you tried an RX100? Very 'fiddly' to use once you're used to a DSLR.

I found that - I was all set to get one, but just found it too small, and instead got the A6000 - which for me is large enough to feel Ok to use, while still being very small and lightweight (unlike my A900 setup :) )

Back