give me you critique

looks good - where do you see the CA?

The lighting looks very harsh - if you used flash try diffusing it more , if shooting on a bright sunny day try diffusing the sunlight aswell.

you need light to get a shadow! LOL

I think your pic is pretty good - maybe a little light and lacking in saturation - but you can fix that easily in PP if you agree. The CA IF there is any there is down to your lens and the fact that the BG is so bright.

In the spiders web and the image doesn't look as clear as most i have seen. :thinking:

i thhink we all know its my shot now so,

1 its not ca,s, its in front of a glass window and the ca,s youre talking about is reflection off the glass behind the subject and shining through the web

2 i thought you needed to get as much light as possible on a macro due to the fact this was taken at f45 for max dof or am i wrong ?

ok so what do you use to diffuse the light?

Are you using flash ?

In the one below I've got a puffers on each of the flash heads of the MT24 and i've got sanded perspex glued onto those to give more diffusion - I've used milk bottle bottoms, fruit trays with tissue paper stretched over it, Grease proof paper all different blue peter specials - for diffusing sunlight I've got some plastic tubing with grease proof paper taped across is, but you can buy them.

You can see the reflections of te diffusers in the eyes - but theres not much blown out.

mpe-8.jpg

1 its not ca,s, its in front of a glass window and the ca,s youre talking about is reflection off the glass behind the subject and shining through the web

2 i thought you needed to get as much light as possible on a macro due to the fact this was taken at f45 for max dof or am i wrong ?

Diffused light for macro as straight flash can be harsh on the subject.

Ahhh i see it looks like ca's hehehe.

Are you using flash ?

In the one below I've got a puffers on each of the flash heads of the MT24 and i've got sanded perspex glued onto those to give more diffusion - I've used milk bottle bottoms, fruit trays with tissue paper stretched over it, Grease proof paper all different blue peter specials - for diffusing sunlight I've got some plastic tubing with grease proof paper taped across is, but you can buy them.

You can see the reflections of te diffusers in the eyes - but theres not much blown out.

only on board flash but i diffuse it in doors with a piece of milk bottle cut to fit over the flash i didnt realise i needed it out doors

Last edited:

1 its not ca,s, its in front of a glass window and the ca,s you're talking about is reflection off the glass behind the subject and shining through the web

At f45 your going to get lens diffraction which will cause softness -try not to go higher than f16 if you can - try experimenting to see how high you can go without noticing any IQ loss.

no only a sigma 17-70 which is only 1|2.3 not quite half

When i get back home i will go through my images and see if i can find pictures i took with my 500D and it's kit lens, i never diffused the flash but like yourself i was still learning and this forum is the best place to learn regardless of style.

The people on here are friendly and offer top draw professional advice.

Having the money to pay for a dedicated macro is hard hehe. But you have to take your pics outside and not through a window.

I think your next effort will be very good and i look forward to seeing it. :D (y)

Back