Glasgow City Murals

Thank you for posting these.
Great pictures (and project for you) of these fascinating works of art.
I was up there a couple of times last year and stayed around George St and the 'merchants'.
I particularly liked the telescope and the taxi but you have captured them all very well.
Have you seen the magic mushroom yet?

Great project, all great shots but No 7 for me so far.
Hi Walter. Yes would agree that No.7 is one of the better photographs :) . The murals themselves are really works of art and I don't think many of my 'snaps' really do them justice however its fun to take the pictures at least as a record given that they will not last forever and redevelopment means there will be continued change. Hopefully new murals will take their place!

Last edited:
Thank you for posting these.
Great pictures (and project for you) of these fascinating works of art.
I was up there a couple of times last year and stayed around George St and the 'merchants'.
I particularly liked the telescope and the taxi but you have captured them all very well.
Have you seen the magic mushroom yet?

Hi biker, thanks for your kind comment.
I think the mushroom mural you refer to is the "Fellow Glasgow Residents" mural along the back of the car park at Ingram Street. Just for you see No. 19 below. I had not posted this yet as its such a huge mural and I can't figure out how to do it justice. It needs multiple shots.....maybe make a great panorama if I could figure out how but the biggest problem is the cars..................:(. Anyway I post below and perhaps revisit to try and improve ;)

Last edited:
19. Fellow Glasgow Residents
This enormous mural along the back of the public carpark in Ingram street is fantastic but I find it a real challenge to take a good photograph. Always seems to be lots of cars parked and trees also get in the way. I think it would be great as a panorama but a very early morning visit would be required to avoid most of the cars. The mural by SMUG reflects all the nature found in Glasgow's city parks .

20171105-P1180029.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

20171110-P1180621.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

20171110-P1180613.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

20171110-P1180609.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

Last edited:
20. St. Lukes
St Lukes is a converted church which is now a music and arts venue and is joined with the the Winged Ox bar and restaurant. The mural outside depicting said 'Winged Ox' is by SMUG. I've not been in but it looks an interesting place and somewhere I need to get back to for a meal, http://www.stlukesglasgow.com/. Its in the East End of Glasgow, along Bain Street.

20171110-P1180506.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

21. Hand Shadow Puppets
On an underpass in Cowcaddens. This mural brightens up both sides of the underpass and is rather clever I think. By Rogue one, I attempted to shoot these as a panorama for obvious reasons and had never seen them presented in this way before. Rather than just pan the camera I moved the camera/tripod along the opposite wall taking shots as I went. Stitched them together in Lightroom . Has resulted in some funky alignment of the overhead concrete panels but murals present well enough!

20171110-P1180580-Pano.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

20171110-P1180563-Pano.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

22. The Clutha
The mural was created along boarding that was put up for the rebuilding of the Clutha bar following the police helicopter crashing through the roof! Many were killed and injured.
The mural features the great and the good that had connections to the area and the bar. Murals were done in collaboration by Rogue-One, Art Pistol and Ejek. The boarding is starting to rot quite badly so I guess these murals will not be around for much longer. I have only photographed one side of the bar so far so need to revisit to complete. The Clutha bar is on Stockwell street along the Clyde.

20171105-P1180139.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

Back