Glass experiment

Name
Morgan Lee
Edit My Images
No
Had a play with a champaign flute, saw this effect in a video and this is what I got :).

Glass by Kiteninja (Morgan Lee), on Flickr

Tried it with a beaker but didn't quite have the effect I wanted till I got hold of the Flute, shot in 1 go with a bit of PP for cropping and alignment.

Hi, Morgan...very interesting shot; I quite like it and love the red-on-black and the white baseline. Not knowing how it was taken, I hesitate to offer suggestions, but the one piece that doesn't seem right to me is that the middle image is lower than the others; and the inside edges of the flutes are higher than the leading edges of preceding flutes. This, to my eye, makes for a choppy visual arc.

Hi, Morgan...very interesting shot; I quite like it and love the red-on-black and the white baseline. Not knowing how it was taken, I hesitate to offer suggestions, but the one piece that doesn't seem right to me is that the middle image is lower than the others; and the inside edges of the flutes are higher than the leading edges of preceding flutes. This, to my eye, makes for a choppy visual arc.

5sec exposure holding the base stem of the glass and creating the arc with multiple shots from the flash was hard to arc and press the PW as my lights don't do strobe :(.

That's really great (y) I like that a lot :clap: :clap: but I would like to see it on a white background and maybe to get a little more creative you could use the colours of the rainbow (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

I did try the white but it didn't have as much punch as the black as you get the more contrasty rim lighting on black :), the multicolours is interesting could be good to experiment with, need more juices :p.

That's really interesting.

How about mounting the glass on a tripod (just strong tape around the base)? That would control the arc better than hand held. But it might make it look too perfect, if you know what I mean.

That's really interesting.

How about mounting the glass on a tripod (just strong tape around the base)? That would control the arc better than hand held. But it might make it look too perfect, if you know what I mean.

Would create a perfect arc that way got a couple ideas for this weekend :) need my mate round again as I've only got the 1 tripod and need that for the camera lol :).

need a way of strobing the flash, this is when I regret selling my 580exII.

I really like that. So much so i'm going to give it a try :)

No crit from me as i love it how it is.

Thank you all :),

Post up your own shots peeps, lets get a glass gathering going :).

I'll post some up when i have improved alot :)

Also Steve (v8moneypit) idea of using a tripod to mount the glass works really well. Instead of tape i used some bluetack.

Really great idea and result. I think the black background really works with the red. :clap:

I do really like this - but the thing that would really make it for me would be having the fluid level right the way across - although not an easy thing to do, might be possible with multiple exposures which can then be checked to ensure the level is straight?

I do really like this - but the thing that would really make it for me would be having the fluid level right the way across - although not an easy thing to do, might be possible with multiple exposures which can then be checked to ensure the level is straight?

Or possibly even more difficult, having the fluid level rise evenly across the shot.

Very interesting concept.

Back