Glass.Photo: does anyone use it?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone use Glass?

It's £25 a year and looks as if it's competing with Flikr and Instagram, albeit not directly.

I've found some reviews, but none tha recent. Lots of good reviews, and a fair number of poor ones, but often complaining about things that have now been fixed.

As I'm not really that familiar with Flikr or Instagram, I can't really work out 'exactly" what Glass offers. I don't find the website all that revealing.

I'm not actually looking for something like this, at least not at the moment, but as the new release of Capture One has a Glass plugin for integration with Glass, I am interested to get a better idea of what Glass might offer.

I'm looking from your link at £30 a year and looks like many other photo share apps/websites Flickr which i use is free for 1000 photos just change them regularly to keep "up to date" https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinorock hth Mike. I also notice they started in 2021 and i have not heard of them :eek:

Last edited:
I'm looking from your link at £30 a year and looks like many other photo share apps/websites Flickr which i use is free for 1000 photos just change them regularly to keep "up to date" https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinorock hth Mike. I also notice they started in 2021 and i have not heard of them :eek:
Thanks.

For some reason when I looked at the prices, they were in GBP, and it was £24.99, But, the price on my link is in USD.

I have a free account with Flikr, but find the adverts annoying. Because of the adverts, I don't feel like ever sending anyone there to look at my photographs, and other than considering a paid for Flikr account (to get rid of the adverts), I haven't done very much with my account.. And while it's a minor point, uploading photographs directly from C1 would be nice.

Until recently (not sure how recently), Glass has been by invitation only. From what I've read, they wanted to keep it advert free and free from the influence of venture capitalist funding, which has meant they have grown slowly, and not wanted to go "public" until they felt ready.

I find it's strange they don't seem to offer any links to users pages (or a video) to show what the user experience is like., hence my post here.

I am also slightly surprised there is not a 1 week trial. A lot of people get Hooked after a trial gives you a chance to "try before you buy"

No Mac version means a no from me.
There is still a web version. But, It seems odd they have a Windows version but not a Mac version, I seems unlikley they won't have a Mac version in the works.

I am also slightly surprised there is not a 1 week trial. A lot of people get Hooked after a trial gives you a chance to "try before you buy"
There is a 14 day trial advertised.

I think it's been around a little while (a year) and a few people flocked to it looking for an Instagram alternative. I don't think the people stuck around and I've heard very little about glass since seeing it here.
Thanks.

It was launched August 2021 (invitation only), but for iPhone only until April 2022 when they launched a web version. Android was added in November 2022

It became publicly available in August 2022,

I mentioned earlier that there were no sample "public" pages but have since discovered that the public pages of the founders are linked.

But it does seem that the only way of finding out much about it is to sign up for the 14 day trial

Thanks.

It was launched August 2021 (invitation only), but for iPhone only until April 2022 when they launched a web version. Android was added in November 2022

It became publicly available in August 2022,

I mentioned earlier that there were no sample "public" pages but have since discovered that the public pages of the founders are linked.

But it does seem that the only way of finding out much about it is to sign up for the 14 day trial
At the time I signed up, and then deactivated the trial period immediately.

Did I miss something? Apparently it's only pictures, there is no way of interacting with the photographers.
Yes and no, the community part is members only and can only be seen by members. If you choose (it isn't on by default) you can make your profile and gallery public, and then share this with non-members.

But it means without signing up for the free trial, there seems to be no way of getting an idea of what it is like.

There is an inkling from the about page, but I'm not really interested in the community, I'm just looking for an easy way of quickly dumping photographs online. Ass I said in my first post, I'm only looking at it because of the C1 plugin tha has just been released

The about page is here:

At the time I signed up, and then deactivated the trial period immediately.
Can you remember why you deactivated it?

Having said that, it's becoming obvious I am going to have to try it out myself, to decide if it offers what I want..

I don't think it was ever my intention to stay. Just create an account and have a look around. Just because I'm a nosey bugger

Since Instagram favoured reels/videos and crushed everyone reach, and Musk has all but destroyed twitter (or X) everyone in photoland it feels have been keen for an alternative and as soon as one popped up a group would migrate and have a look around. Vero, Tumblr, Glass, fotoapp none have stuck so far
Weirdly, Threads has done well
Fotoapp I've not tried, but heard good things about it.. it's in Beta at the moment

I don't think it was ever my intention to stay. Just create an account and have a look around. Just because I'm a nosey bugger

Since Instagram favoured reels/videos and crushed everyone reach, and Musk has all but destroyed twitter (or X) everyone in photoland it feels have been keen for an alternative and as soon as one popped up a group would migrate and have a look around. Vero, Tumblr, Glass, fotoapp none have stuck so far
Weirdly, Threads has done well
Fotoapp I've not tried, but heard good things about it.. it's in Beta at the moment
The attraction of Glass for me is entirely the C1 Plugin, that will make it easy to dump images online when I feel the need. I'm not looking for very much, just trying to avoid going somewhere where lots of people have had bad experiences.

I am making an effort to use the social aspects of Flickr more - everyone is seems to be looking for the new photographer centric social network, but there has been one lurking in the background for years...

Back