Go Pro or something else?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking about picking a Go Pro up for a couple of trips I have coming up. Not the latest, probably a couple of generations older as it's just for fun.

Should I only look at Go Pro or are there any other makes worth looking at. I have zero experience with little machines like this, so no clues what to look at or start with.

Cheers

The quality is really good but keep in mind theres no zoom as such, you can set a sort of zoom, but it's done in the menu and you cant change it on the fly. The other thing is get one with a screen, I find it tricky composing shots without it. Lastly if your using an external mike you'll need an addaptor as the connection is different from the standard plug, that means you cant use the waterproof case (and sound in the case is poor). I'm on the Go-pro hero 4 black and no complaints with quality.

The quality is really good but keep in mind theres no zoom as such, you can set a sort of zoom, but it's done in the menu and you cant change it on the fly. The other thing is get one with a screen, I find it tricky composing shots without it. Lastly if your using an external mike you'll need an addaptor as the connection is different from the standard plug, that means you cant use the waterproof case (and sound in the case is poor). I'm on the Go-pro hero 4 black and no complaints with quality.

Thanks, that's great info. (y)

go pro wise i would look at hero 5 black, yes newer if you can afford, the stabilisation on the 7 black is mind-bending.

DJi osmo action is another "well known" make but only recently come out so still pushing the £250/£300 mark but again gets good reviews.

my hero 3 black still produces more than adequate video, just as long as you bear in mind all of them have tiny sensors so don't expect too much

Really here 5 black and above your paying for better electronic stabilisation, frame rate, slow-mo, timelapse ect, but a phone gimble and older go pro (3/4 etc) will get you decent video for a few hundred quid.

but don't underestimate how the stabilization can help.

little clip

View: https://youtu.be/4B-lODwfVDc

Brilliant, thanks for the info, I had been looking at the Hero 3's as I believe that would be more than adequate for what I want... in truth my Daughter will probably use it more than I will! :)

my 16 year old has the Hero 5 black and its great, even the stills are useable. I guess you can pick one up for under £150 now ( used )

Seen a few hero 5 blacks for sale on Facebook around the £100/£130 range, hard to find but they are around

Back