Beginner Godox V1 or V860II?

Name
Smedders
Edit My Images
No
Hey Guys,

I recently finished my education and I've found some work as a Wedding Photographer, mainly for friends. If any of you are on the Godox UK User Group you may have seen some of my work on there. Just wondering with Wedding Season coming up, what speedlight do you guys prefer?

I was looking at the AD200 but some people are saying it's overkill even though it's incredibly portable.

I've been looking at the V860ii on Lencarta since I see their banner on here all the time (Long time lurker btw, first time posting) and it seems a decent price, but now they have the V1 listed for £199 which isn't much more expensive. Should I just hold out for that?

I was looking at the AD200 but some people are saying it's overkill even though it's incredibly portable.

The AD200 is getting a slight price drop because of the upcoming Pro version out but I'm not sure I see much value in one if you're just going to use it as a speedlight compared to just buying a speedlight, if you're going to use of its extra power or the bare bulb then that makes sense to me.

As Simon says, the AD200 isn’t really comparable to a speed light.
If you’re building kit for weddings, it’d start with at least 2 speedlights (one for each camera / redundancy) then maybe an AD200 and a trigger, or something more substantial depending on your style.
We use 4 speedlights and an AD200 - which replaces an AD360. I also have a Safari2 (which - if it had earned its keep would have been replaced by an AD600)

Edit to add - and I’m one of those ‘natural light’ types.

Hey guys, thanks for that! I just considered the AD200 because of what my friends from uni have been telling me. I prefer speedlights which is why I was considering the V1 from Lencarta :| Hopefully 2 year warranty as well :LOL:

Hey guys, thanks for that! I just considered the AD200 because of what my friends from uni have been telling me. I prefer speedlights which is why I was considering the V1 from Lencarta :| Hopefully 2 year warranty as well :LOL:

Which light did you go for in the end? I'm in a similar position to you where I mainly take photos of my family but have started being asked by friends to shoot proper stuff, one being a wedding coming up in October. I want to get a Godox speedlight and have my heart set on the V1 but I'm struggling to stomach the £335 for the flash, a trigger and the accessory set considering I don't make money off this as a living (although maybe one day I will).

I keep thinking I could go with a lower budget version but I hate doing that when I know there's a more convenient, 'superior' product out there already with newer tech inside it. It's going to be a small wedding so I know that one speedlight will do me fine so I'd rather have 1 really good one than two lesser ones.

Would love to hear what you settled on!

I also have a Safari2 (which - if it had earned its keep would have been replaced by an AD600)

I swapped the receiver out for the new one on my Safari II - it works really well with the X-Pro trigger (better in fact as I can now turn it on and off with one click remotely), and I typically take that and an AD200 on location.

I swapped the receiver out for the new one on my Safari II - it works really well with the X-Pro trigger (better in fact as I can now turn it on and off with one click remotely), and I typically take that and an AD200 on location.
I also swapped out the receiver, it doesn't get much use

Which light did you go for in the end? I'm in a similar position to you where I mainly take photos of my family but have started being asked by friends to shoot proper stuff, one being a wedding coming up in October. I want to get a Godox speedlight and have my heart set on the V1 but I'm struggling to stomach the £335 for the flash, a trigger and the accessory set considering I don't make money off this as a living (although maybe one day I will).

I keep thinking I could go with a lower budget version but I hate doing that when I know there's a more convenient, 'superior' product out there already with newer tech inside it. It's going to be a small wedding so I know that one speedlight will do me fine so I'd rather have 1 really good one than two lesser ones.

Would love to hear what you settled on!

Just get one/two TT685s and a trigger. Don't overcomplicate things on your first wedding.

One second the flash was on a light stand, next second I went over and it was on a table with the hot shoe broken….I am 99% certain the band knocked it over when they were packing up. I have no proof…but I have a spare hot shoe for the V860II.

4kwJSc9.jpg

However i can't do a straight replacement, the shape of the plastic don't match. I thought I have nothing to lose and took off the actual feet contact point by removing 4 more screws, then put it back together and it worked!!!!

YqDJXrS.jpg

Last edited:
Back