Beginner Godox v860ii for Nikon set up ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.
Picked up a v860ii with x-pro trigger and wanted to start learning, starting indoor with droplet and such. Couple of things I can’t find and answer to online anywhere.

Using with a Nikon D500

1. Many tutorials say the x-pro will go to 1/256 with certain godox units, namely the v860ii, I can take the x-pro down to 1/256 but the unit doesn’t go below 1/128, how do I get the v860ii to 1/256 ?

2. Same as above, tutorials say the x-pro offers front and rear curtain sync, on the x-pro they hit the sync button and that scrolls from hss to rear curtain and back, I seem to only have HSS.

These are by far not the only issues but as a learning curve, it’s something I would like to resolve.
It’s probably just a simple setting, but after two days of playing/watching/reading I’m at a loss.

Any help ?

Yes rear sync is a camera setting.
Could be there is an update for the flash enabling 1/256 but the manual does say 1/128.
That one stop is hardly an issue when easily remedied with diffusion, distance, ND. Grids etc. and if not allready there dialing down ISO and/or aperture.
Today even the humple speedlight and the triggers has become a advanced instruments so I find myself rereading the manuals from time to time
also what these things can do and how is to some extend depending on the cameras e.g. HSS is automatically enabled with my Sony A6000 when I dial in shutter speeds shorter than the X-sync, on my Fuji XT2 I have to choose the setting on camera.

Find the manual on this page
http://www.godox.com/EN/Download.html

Last edited by a moderator:
V860II only does to 1/128 power and normally I set REAR sync via the camera

Thank you, im just confused as all the x-pro tutorials videos, show it changeable on the x-pro its self, but no big deal if i need to change in camera, not something i plan on using but would like to test and put it in my learning list.

Mike
Yes rear sync is a camera setting.
Could be there is an update for the flash enabling 1/256 but the manual does say 1/128.
That one stop is hardly an issue when easily remedied with diffusion, distance, ND. Grids etc. and if not allready there dialing down ISO and/or aperture.
Today even the humble speedlight and the triggers has become an advanced instruments so I find myself rereading the manuals from time to time
also what these things can do and how is to some extend depending on the cameras e.g. HSS is automatically enabled with my Sony A6000 when I dial in shutter speeds shorter than the X-sync, on my Fuji XT2 I have to choose the setting on camera.

Find the manual on this page
http://www.godox.com/EN/Download.html

hi, thanks for the help, all this makes sense, it was just quite a few tutorials on youtube say the x-pro coupled with new godox like the v860ii allows 1/256 and the x-pro does indeed go to 1/256th but the flash head stops at 1/128th, that was my confusion, no big deal but for water droplets i wanted the lowest power available and thought i was doing something wrong.
As for rear curtain, again all vids show the x-pro selecting this within the sync button, but again not on mine, so it was more a why or how rather than a required (well at this point anyway|)

hi, thanks for the help, all this makes sense, it was just quite a few tutorials on youtube say the x-pro coupled with new godox like the v860ii allows 1/256 and the x-pro does indeed go to 1/256th but the flash head stops at 1/128th, that was my confusion, no big deal but for water droplets i wanted the lowest power available and thought i was doing something wrong.
As for rear curtain, again all vids show the x-pro selecting this within the sync button, but again not on mine, so it was more a why or how rather than a required (well at this point anyway|)
Flash durations at 1/128 are generally in the area of 1/20.000 sec and they are also mostly not a full stop faster than at 1/64
e.g.
https://improvephotography.com/46974/flash-duration-speedlights-long-pop-flash/

thank you for this, Sunday night was the first time ive ever turn a flash on, let alone use it, so its a steep learning curve and I'm trying to take away mistakes in basic settings or available settings as the case may be.

So even thou this is not my original question im starting to learn that even at 1/64 ish power the 'pop' is still far quicker than my max 8k shutter speed, so perhaps im worrying about the wrong thing and searching for 1/256th, like i say it was more a question of why others say its available.

So even thou this is not my original question im starting to learn that even at 1/64 ish power the 'pop' is still far quicker than my max 8k shutter speed, so perhaps im worrying about the wrong thing and searching for 1/256th, like i say it was more a question of why others say its available.

It is BUT that has issues.

X-Sync - the maximum shutter speed you can use flash at WITHOUT going to HSS or similar techniques on your DSLR
So even though the flash duration is smaller there are certain times to use and others not

Mike

It is BUT that has issues.

X-Sync - the maximum shutter speed you can use flash at WITHOUT going to HSS or similar techniques on your DSLR
So even though the flash duration is smaller there are certain times to use and others not

Mike
I think you're misunderstanding. Scott is merely comparing the maximum shutterspeed of the mechanical shutter to that of the pop of flash.

NO, I understand perfectly, I am predicting the next question

Mike

its ok, I'm completely confused, so i don't have the next question ....lol, time for me to go away and understand what you've both explained.

And remember to come back when you have more questions, ask, practice, learn and repeat

Mike

Thank you both, its been a great help, i find just trying to learn from scratch is extremely difficult and overwhelming, i generally learn a lot more by stumbling, asking and then going away to learn everything about that small portion, then again stumble and learn the next little slice.

Also attached my first attempts with flash, happy (ish) but feel it could be better. (sorry about the watermark, normally don't upload here with it on but its just the only thing i had)
eZy Watermark_22-01-2019_10-31-28pm.jpg

Back