Godox + YN / Canon mix?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I managed to get a good deal on Godox AD200 with a bit of extras (ebay 15% special - better than TPS) and I've got my 3X Canon RT and compatible flashes controlled by Yongnuo ST-E3 RT. The Canon / YN system worked perfectly so far and I just wanted one stronger flash or maybe just a new toy.

I don't really have a proper trigger for the 200. Only option now is S2 optical if used indoors. This leaves proper functionality on the Canons.

I ordered by mistake Godox X1R-C. I realised it is nearly useless as soon as I saw it. I am not buying another 2 and I'm not making my Speedlites look like from 2000 with all the downsides, namely size and cost. The only chance would be making it work with ST-E3 somehow??? Or should I try to return / exchange for something else??

Another option is of course to offload all Canon / YN kit and just buy another 2X or 3X AD200 and at some point 400 or 600. It almost makes sense, except the head can't tilt up and it just won't bounce off the ceiling corners without some extra support when doing real estate work, etc (no time or space for light stands)

So what is my best to build a reasonable system please?

Does the godox controller not have a hot shoe on top? If so, try mounting godox controller on your camera hotshoe first then the YN controller on top? Control the AD 200 with the godox controller and your canons with the YN.

For ease I have migrated over to godox from canon / YN mix.

Xpro doesn't have a hotshoe. The lesser x1t does but in just 2min at the show I couldn't make it talk to st-e3. It just went into crippled "multi" mode. Maybe I missed a tricked, and so did the demo guy?
I don't have X1T so before I spend any more money I am now relying on you all for information. I am not sure if x1t is still worth considering in light of newer and fancier ones, but of course if it works as I need that's great news.

I may take the decision to move to pure godox system. The question I need to ask myself is whether I still need a proper Canon speedlite for use on camera, etc, or failing that if there is a Godox one that integrates with their wireless system without any nasty addons, and deliver equivalent or higher power to genuine 600EX. (For comparison YN600EX is around only half power, but as 3rd unit in the kit that's OK).
edit: if I ever wanted to move to Sony, I'd be glad I changed flash system, which I presume is universal. Canon RF system makes me very concerned as 5DV is likely their last proper camera to see the light of day... What happened to sony alpha line or FD is something my wallet wants to avoid.

Last edited:
The behavior of the X1T hotshoe is described here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=17941197. If you’re thinking of moving over to godox you May as well get one to control your ad200. It may work with your yn controller in manual mode with ttl pins taped.

There is equivalent Godox speedlite to 600ex, the one with lithium battery is far better battery life, although focus assist doesn’t work properly.

Back