Going to college and I need...

Edit My Images
No
a 35mm camera, preferably an S.L.R that can be opened manually!
Any advice on the best, yet affordable camera and where it is best to purchase it :)

Thanks

Only problem is being a poor graduate and going back to college in september with even more fees, it's a little way out of my budget. It looks fantastic though, i'm sure it'll find a loving, wonderful home.

I wonder if I can pursuade my family to get it for my birthday :p :thinking::naughty:

a 35mm camera, preferably an S.L.R that can be opened manually!
Any advice on the best, yet affordable camera and where it is best to purchase it :)

Thanks

How high up the scale do you wish to go?
Do you want just the camera opr all the goodies to go with it?
I have a Pentax loafing around doing nothing.
John

well readin the information online, the "additional information" says;

Additional Information The sessions are informative and fun but you are expected to provide dedication, patience and a sense of humour (for when it goes wrong).
You should have your own 35mm camera, preferably an S.L.R. (that's a single lens reflex with an interchangeable lens) and certainly one that can be opened manually! Lots of film during the year, but six or seven might do if you are on a budget, workbook folders, presentation files etc.

I may pop into the college tomorrow, depending on whether anybody is around (nobody seems to be answering the main phone line :thumbsdown:) Or if I email somebody associated with the course they may be able to give me a bit more info...as for now, thats the only quote I have to go on!
:)

I should think a Pentax SLR with a 55mm bog standard lens will satisfy the criterion. As for film it's best to get that online, from the Channel Islands. Especially if you need a lot of it.

Hi! No need to call me Sir! I was just a lowly NCO! :)

So I don't understand what they meant by manually opened.
On most SLR's of any ange, there is manual wind-on and older still, there is no inbuilt light meter.

But they all open at the back by manual means!

The one I have has an inbuilt meter, but you don't need to use it. You can use a hand-held light-meter to get your settings. As I said, it's doing nothing but loafing around the house.

Best o' luck
John :beer: :exit:

I think they probably mean any camera thats not digital so that I can use the film etc! I'll let you know if I can contact any higher authority at the college to see if they can be more specific. thanks again :)

You may have trouble contacting people at the college as it's now the summer holidays!
What course are you doing?

oh no its not like a degree or anything, its only a course once a week at night for a few hours :)
I cant afford to do another degree even though they did offer me that choice :LOL:

I used to love my olympus OM-20 and could heartily recommend one of them. OM-1 or OM-2 would be even better.

I have a Nikon F70 with a sigma 28-80mm and Vivitar 17-35mm Nikon fit lenses. All in good working order. Given that you are a poor student you can have them if you want. They have not been used since I turned to digital a few years ago. I am in Crosby.

Chris

If your at college, get a cheap 35mm, most will do a great job. Go to ebay a nice minolta x-700 can be bought cheaply, but definilty get a manual camera. Realistically if your going to a good college, youll jump to a medium format pretty soon. When i was at college i used a 35mm camera only a few times. Went straight to medium format and never looked back.

Back