going to need a bigger bird feeder !!!

Edit My Images
No
Have had two Jays started to come to my bird feeder in the last few days - makes a change from the robins and tits.

my mum thinks they are quite young - any advice on what food I should put out foor them ?

I don't want to scare them so am only taking pics through glass at the moment:

5946892045_63f8469ac9.jpg

not seen them up here...South Lanarkshire

well they seem to like the fat balls you have

i use 1L milk cartons
suspend a light chain down the centre - at the bottom a plastic disk
fill with peanuts, pour in melted suet
set in the frig overnight

cut round the carton an 1" from the base
then a long cut down the carton, peel off, suspend in tree

a 1L fat ball....:D...cheap too

Ooooh, you jammy so and so.

Jays, I think, like fruit especially, though they will eat pretty much anything available.

Keep at it though, lovely birds to watch.

If they are like the Blue Jays we get (dozens at a time) in the States they will eat anything but absolutely love peanut suet. I go through a 4x4x3/4 block per day and it is mostly Jays followed by wood peckers.

Love jays and their call, we have them in our garden occasionally as said they eat anything available, stick some natural perches up for them and hide food on them, youll get some good shots of them (y)

Love jays and their call, we have them in our garden occasionally as said they eat anything available, stick some natural perches up for them and hide food on them, youll get some good shots of them (y)

Hi Dave one of the things I have noticed with the Yankee J's is that if it is a large lump of food they will take it and move away from the feeder so I make sure everything is on the small side.

Hi Dave one of the things I have noticed with the Yankee J's is that if it is a large lump of food they will take it and move away from the feeder so I make sure everything is on the small side.

Hi Dave, UK jays also do that, drill 1" dia holes in the perches and pack the food in them then they have to peck it out (y)

Put a new fat ball feeder out yesterday, and have seen a Jay a few times recently. Be interesting to see if they have found my feeder yet and cleaned it out!

Back