Going to North Wales, suggestions?

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
Yes
Going up to North Wales for around 10 days, would love some decent locations to go to, I don't drive so anything which is accessible by public transport would be ideal.

I'll be staying in Bethesda, no real preference to types of photography although I am quite interested in trying star trails but I imagine where I'm staying will suffice for that.

How fit are you?
The walk up to Mynydd Perfydd and on to Elidir Fawr provides some monumentally good landscape opportunities.
The walk up the other side of the valley to the Carnedd range is about as wild as it gets in Snowdonia.
For a more gentle walk, head over the road to Dinorwig then carry on past the bus terminus and explore the Dinorwic Slate Quarry. Lots of public paths at that level with good photo opportunities.

Local to you and for star trails, I'd head up to the bridge over the river as the view looks straight up the valley into the heart of the mountains. Possible to get a shot with the river in the foreground, mountains all around and stars above.

Also - I'm sure there are buses up to Ogwen Cottage, for the excellent short walk to Ogwen Falls, Cwm Idwall and many excellent mountain adventures beyond them.

Have fun! Duncan

You could try walking up through the village of Gerlan (behind Bethesda) to the end of the road, to the waterworks, then following the footpath along the river (Afon Llafar), towards Black Ladders, the steep slopes between Carnedd Dafydd and Carnedd Llewelyn.

Options then: You could then either take the track up the far left of the cwm and on to Carnedd Llewelyn or Carnedd Dafydd, or you could go over the top of Yr Elen and follow the river back to the start.

An easier (much!!) option would be to go up the right hand gully just before the huge triangular shaped rock (Llech Du, at the base of the Crib Lem spur)) that appears on your right just before the end of the valley, bear right at the top and follow the ridge (parallel to the river) over Mynydd Du back to the waterworks.

I don't know your capabilities, but there is a fair amount of snow on the Carneddau this morning, so be safe and enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, going to run these over with some of the people I'll be staying with and seeing which ones we want to do.

Last edited:
Simon
Thanks for posting the link to your guide...well written and beautifully illustrated.

Shame I lack a good wide angle lens but I should get some interesting stuff while I'm up there, providing the weather is welcoming.

If your in Bethesda maybe you can get a bus from there to Llanberis, some great landscape opertunities around there. In the other direction go see the station at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch :)

In the other direction go see the station at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch :)

I couldn't disagree more....unless the weather is so bad that you can't see/spend your time in Snowdonia please don't waste half a day looking at a sign in a carpark full of coaches and then end up wandering around a gift shop selling goods made in China:nono:...imho it's the worst place in the whole of North Wales

Simon

That lens is ideal for landscapes, I would suggest if you plan to come away from Snowdonia then add this link to your list of places I would suggest sunset ideal this time of the year, agree with Simon on the train station

http://www.anglesey-hidden-gem.com/Llanddwyn-Island.html

If you are here next week I may see you lol as I'm climbing Tryfan Monday and then the Watkin path Tuesday to the summit of snowdon

Fingers crossed we both manage to have some descent light

Kevin

Last edited:
Will be coming between 14th and 24th if all goes to plan :)

I don't mind walking up a mountain, but I don't much fancy climbing with a camera.

Will be coming between 14th and 24th if all goes to plan :)

I don't mind walking up a mountain, but I don't much fancy climbing with a camera.

If you fancy a reasonably steady mountain but with wonderful views then Moel Siabod is a good choice, you can catch the bus to Capel Curig and the climb from there isn't bad

Simon

Just wanted to add another expression of thanks for the great pics to Simon (I followed the link) - I'm a newbie today and this is the first thread I've followed - If the rest of the forums are this good and helpful and inspiring too I reckon I'll be around for a while

I suppose I'm cursed and spoiled in different measures.

I live in Wrexham aka Err... no, this is a family forum.... :(

....but also the gateway to North Wales :D

No matter how bad the weather, I can usually come back with worthwhile images from the North Wales hills and coastlands - in fact on a particularly nondescript day I tend to challenge myself to 'make' something of it photographically - which tends to be more difficult than if the weather is really bad or really nice.

Back