goldfinch

It must be a trick as their heads are usually red around the beak patch. :whistle: ;)

It must be a trick as their heads are usually red around the beak patch. :whistle: ;)
Not quiet sure what you mean.. this is a backlit shot with the sun lightening the top of the head .

.... I have dozens of Goldfinch photos as they visit my wildlife garden many times a day throughout the seasons and also bring their young. There can be slight variation mostly due to maturity but Jeff's bird is has normal plumage.

Some individual bird's red can be slightly orange - In fact it's how I recognise one particular regular visitor.

.... I have dozens of Goldfinch photos as they visit my wildlife garden many times a day throughout the seasons and also bring their young. There can be slight variation mostly due to maturity but Jeff's bird is has normal plumage.

Some individual bird's red can be slightly orange - In fact it's how I recognise one particular regular visitor.
As you say, there's often variation in colouration but I can't recall seeing one as orange as that before.

Last edited:
- I have noticed this orange/red feather change myself, where they appear more orange at this time of year, but more red into the breeding season.

Russ
I've had a quick Google and orangey ones definitely exist (or lots of people have the same colour balance issue!), but I can't recall seeing one that orangey round here. It could well be me not noticing or perhaps a regional variation? I'll have to pay more attention to them in future. :)

again as I said to someone yesterday it looks perfectly normal on my i.mac and i.pad and i.phone so I would suggest the problem lies more with your colour settings than mine .and I will also re-iterate ITS A BACK LIT BIRD WITH THE SUN SHINING ON THE TOP OF ITS HEAD if you look you will see the lower half is darker :banghead::banghead::banghead:

again as I said to someone yesterday it looks perfectly normal on my i.mac and i.pad and i.phone so I would suggest the problem lies more with your colour settings than mine .and I will also re-iterate ITS A BACK LIT BIRD WITH THE SUN SHINING ON THE TOP OF ITS HEAD if you look you will see the lower half is darker :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Looking at the Exif data I see you have the saturation set to 'high', is this in camera and is there any reason for this? I'm not familiar with Olympus.

Looking at the Exif data I see you have the saturation set to 'high', is this in camera and is there any reason for this? I'm not familiar with Olympus.
Simply the way I like it Jim .. each to there own.. although I may well turn it down after having it pointed out to see If it makes a difference .. still on a learning curve with Olympus

Last edited:
Juvenile/first year Goldfinch are orange, adults are red. View attachment 259299
Thanks for the information; I'd not noticed that before but it will give me something to look out for this winter whilst they're scoffing the sunflower hearts from the bird feeders and throwing anything they think is sub-standard to the chaffinches and dunnocks on the ground. :)

just taken a look at it in camera menu Jim .. I have picture mode set to "vivid" which is how I like it but every other setting is at zero .. so its obviously a pre-set camera thing didn't think I had changed anything

The face patch around the beak is usually red but in your photo it looks decidedly orange.

It's looks like it's just the lighting to me, the same back light is making the edge of the bird white but we know it isn't

just taken a look at it in camera menu Jim .. I have picture mode set to "vivid" which is how I like it but every other setting is at zero .. so its obviously a pre-set camera thing didn't think I had changed anything
If you shoot in RAW that shouldn't make any difference to the file, just the camera's screen (at least that is normally the case, I don't use Olympus)

It's looks like it's just the lighting to me, the same back light is making the edge of the bird white but we know it isn't

.... Really? You're a professional and should see that it's upper lefthand top lit - Look at the branch. The whites are losing a bit of detail. If it was directly backlit the edges around the whole subject would be white (or similar colour).

But all this really doesn't matter two flying figs if Jeff is happy with it overall as a picture.

Btw, I love your Aldeburgh calendar - Superb compositions and colours.

.... Really? You're a professional and should see that it's upper lefthand top lit - Look at the branch. The whites are losing a bit of detail. If it was directly backlit the edges around the whole subject would be white (or similar colour).

But all this really doesn't matter two flying figs if Jeff is happy with it overall as a picture.

Btw, I love your Aldeburgh calendar - Superb compositions and colours.

Wherever the light was coming from, the point was the colour being caused by the light rather than the colour of the feathers

Exactly

and thanks :)

If you shoot in RAW that shouldn't make any difference to the file, just the camera's screen (at least that is normally the case, I don't use Olympus)

.... That's a good point - Most cameras permanently embed the user-selected Picture Mode/Style in the JPEG image but not permanently in the RAW file where you can edit it later in post-processing (I think!).

Back