Goldfinches decline?

Name
Piotr
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering if anyone else noticed lack of Goldies in their gardens, or is it only me? This year, I only noticed two or three birds on my feeders and that was it. Last year I had to refill my sunflower seed every two or three days, now it's hanging there until squirrel or tits finish it. I've put nyjer seed feeder in February and it's still almost full. I havent seen any Greenfinches either.

Over the last month or so the number of goldfinches I have seen in the garden (east London) has dropped off, but until then there were loads.

A cold winter a few years ago brought in a big group of up to 20 or so at a time - until then we saw very few for a few weeks in Jan/Feb each year.

Since that cold winter the goldfinches stayed and we have had them every day. Often they are the most numerous bird in the garden; 10 or so at any time of the day was not unusual.

I do not know the reason for the current decline, perhaps more insects are available now so the feeders are not so well visited.

Dave

I was going to ask the same.

I am in Devon there is distinct lack of Goldies, Greenfinches and Siskins compared to other years in my garden and generally in the countryside which was confirmed yesterday when I bumped into a local bird photographer and the discussion of lack of sightings was had.

I have seen a pair of goldies 4-5 times.
Lone Greenfinch half dozen.
pair of Siskins once.

What i do have is Housparrows and they are feeding well! Bluetit and Coal Tit and Blackbirds and that is about it :(

I saw 2 in our garden the other day (live in an urban area), but don't see them very often these days!

There seems to be an decline of lots of birds this year.

I still get them on my feeders but this year they tend to come in two's and three's.

The last few years there were often a dozen or so which was more than before so it's back to how it used to be if that makes sense.

Not a bad year for them in my area and even though they have moved off the feeders now i am still seeing plenty out in the countryside.
Bullfinches are the bird have noticed a big drop in sightings this year, a very poor spring migration this year also and I'm yet to see my first Wheatear :shake:

Last edited:
Must say I have seen more this year than ever before.
I walk in Lancs and Yorks regularly and see lots.

Feeding stations at my local reserve had plenty, but the long cold winter seems to have kept them away at my local sites.

I have noticed the same thing,this year only 4 max at a time on the feeders.A few years ago the most i ever counted was 26.Greenfinches i just get a pair but always have.

As is normal at this time of year, the number of goldfinches visiting my feeders has dropped off. I believe that they prefer to feed their nestlings on insects, which may account for the drop-off in numbers in the late spring. I fully expect to see the first broods of fledglings any day now.

Far from populations dropping, Goldfinches are one of the few species whose numbers have been rising recently. I remember them being quite unusual forty years ago, especially as a garden bird.

They're setting records here in my garden in Northants. One morning last week I counted 8 fighting over the feeders and they've done 4kgs of hearts in the last 3 weeks! I'm also seeing more greenfinches than last year plus a chaffinch has now started hanging around.

That lot only eat the sunflower hearts, they're just not interested in nyger so yesterday I swapped that for a seed mix designed for other birds like BT's and LTT's. Fingers crossed for some LTT's, I've only ever seen one in my garden and didn't get a shot.

Havent seen any at all in the garden this year:crying:
used to get loads dont know whats happened to them (north wales)

I`m seeing loads of green and gold finches, the buggers sure like my sunflower hearts.

Even getting siskin in the woods now.

Noticed a couple in the garden today :)
I'll have to set something up as I've not managed a good capture of one before.

I live in Basildon, Essex and we have the same 10-12 Goldfinches as we had last year, but we are well down on Greenfinches with the odd 6-8 whereas we used to get double that number.

Here in Hereford we occasionally get a pair in our garden and we are quiet rural, we put out a Nyger feeder to encourage them but no major success yet, I think we need to find the right spot for them.

Last year I used to regularly get half a dozen or so, in fact they hung around, feeding off my Nyjer feeder, for most of the winter. I noticed a distinct lack of any about the time of the last heavy snowfall we had this year. I left the Nyjer feeder up just in case.

Today I saw a pair feeding happily from the feeder. This is my first sighting in well over 12 weeks. They were around for most of the day, only doing a vanishing act when a Sparrowhawk flew in and took a young Starling!

Andy

They must all be in my garden - through winter up to 50+ feeding on Nyger and Sunflower hearts.
Surveys are suggesting that Goldfinch is now the most common garden bird - mainly I suppose to people providing the right food - this year 2013 - almost as many siskins are coming - never had this many before.

They must all be in my garden - through winter up to 50+ feeding on Nyger and Sunflower hearts.
Surveys are suggesting that Goldfinch is now the most common garden bird - mainly I suppose to people providing the right food - this year 2013 - almost as many siskins are coming - never had this many before.

Thanks Richard. Which part of Wales are you in?

Saw my first baby goldfinches of the year yesterday. For those not sure what to look for - they look just like the adults, but without the red/black/white facial marks.

Yep, the kids arrived this week. Yesterday I saw four youngsters scrapping over the feeders. One them hasn't yet got the hang of perching which is quite amusing, I'm trying to get a shot of his attempts.

I get winter flocks of 15+ on the niger seed and then "resident" pairs during the rest of the year - plus whatever young survive the local cat population. I'm not sure whether they are short range migrants or whether they disperse to the countryside to breed?

I get winter flocks of 15+ on the niger seed and then "resident" pairs during the rest of the year - plus whatever young survive the local cat population. I'm not sure whether they are short range migrants or whether they disperse to the countryside to breed?

These birds are coming more and more into towns and gardens to breed, Ive one in my garden on their second round, nest nearly complete, they were building their first nest when the snow was here..

Unfortunately the local goldfinch population is 2 less due to Benji :crying:

He has a bell on and I don't let him out until about 8.30am.

Don't know what else I can do really.

Heather

Back