Gone metal detecting

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
No
Due to such a long spell of gloomy wet weather down here in Bognor Regis (the UK’s sunshine capital) I haven’t been out much with the camera and was becoming more and more uninspired to go outdoors to do anything …. so I bought a metal detector and a few accessories.
Now very much enjoying at least a couple of hours on the beach each day rather than idling at home.
But still looking forward to some better weather and getting back up on the fabulous South Downs.

A super hobby if your fit enough , better finds are made on farmland though

I have a big history with detecting , Chairman of the Essex detector society , Started my own club closer to home , Essex Pastfinders, Also involved in starting the portable antiquities rules , Along with Dr Rodger Bland who was commissioned by the UK government , I also did years detecying in the Med underwater detecting , Great times, You do need to be aware ALL land is owned by someone so permissions are important .

I have a big history with detecting , Chairman of the Essex detector society , Started my own club closer to home , Essex Pastfinders, Also involved in starting the portable antiquities rules , Along with Dr Rodger Bland who was commissioned by the UK government , I also did years detecying in the Med underwater detecting , Great times, You do need to be aware ALL land is owned by someone so permissions are important .
There has been a murky history of amateur metal detecting and I think I recall reading a few years back that it is thought that all too many (yet to be discovered?) archeologically important sites have been damaged/destroyed/looted etc in the UK & EU by such (criminal?) activities:(

There has been a murky history of amateur metal detecting and I think I recall reading a few years back that it is thought that all too many (yet to be discovered?) archeologically important sites have been damaged/destroyed/looted etc in the UK & EU by such (criminal?) activities:(
Indeed thay have with people called night hawks who go on scheduled sites during darkness
Worse still Items handed in by detectorists of importantce and high value have gone missing / stolen ( chose the word ) from inside the british museum , This is currently under investigation on hundereds of items.

I have joined the NCMD with which comes much important and useful information and Public Liability Insurance.

And me to , did more Than my fair share over the years ..and through helping the chairman of the ncmd in a major investigation I was invited to join in with jimmy sierras American tours in Norfolk . Done a bit of field Testing his products for whites detectors via that as well ,in fact my first published photo a George 11 Guinea was used by whites in there advertising . Got paid for that to .
All long gone and forgotten now ,hard enough walking down a pavement these days let alone a ploughed field

Metal detecting is something I've always fancied but haven't got around to.

Good luck and enjoy Graeme.

Back