Good and bad quality lenses

Name
Edward
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi :wave: Can someone explain what is meant by 'a good quality lens' and give some examples, also what would be a bad quality lens? I've done some searchs and I'm confused. Thanks in advance.

You pays yer money.....

Mind you saying that you can get very good IQ (Image Quality) for not alot og money. Example is the much loved Canon 50mm f1.8 "Nifty Fifty" which is a cheap bit of plastic that feels cheap but it's light and produces superb quality images especially for £75. Once on the camera body you don't notice the chap feel and just enjoy taking shots.

Next up in the 50mm range is the 50mm f1.4 USM which is around £280 which is a huge hike in price but the IQ is a lot better. Build quality is better too.

Then theres the 50mm f1.2 which is about £1200 which is mad unless you are a pro!

If you have a camera with a kit lens then if i were you ( and i wish i had done this!) i would keep it on the camera until you know what sort of photography you want to do mostly. For me i want to do candid, street and family shots so i'm looking at getting a prime 50mm or 85mm lens.

If you want to do wild life or airshows etc you will soon find the kit lens far too short in the length so you will need to look at 300mm+ lenses.

It's easy to get caught up in the 'buy every lens going' thing so think about the direction you want to go in 1st.

There are some great lenses that don't cost the earth so look at reviews and if you want examples of what the lenses can do go here for a great selection of examples: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107

I appreciate your reply Andy, and thanks for the link which I haven't noticed before. I'll spend the next few hours reading through, its just what I wanted.

Back