Good Books on Off Camera Flash

Name
Bruce
Edit My Images
Yes
Could anyone recommend any good books on off camera flash. Kind of along the line of the Strobist?

This one is actually a movie lighting book (and an old one at that) but it's well worth getting ahold of as it is well written and pretty much everything in it is applicable to photography and off-camera flash.

Another one worth a look is this one.

Both books should be available via Amazon or The Book Depository (cheaper ;))

I can certainly vouch for the first two as recommended. They're not geared around normal shoe mounted flash guns but more studio strobes but the principals are the same. There's a recommended reading list on Strobist and if you want more practical advice he's released a DVD. I've not seen it but it's 8 DVDs for about £80-£90 I think. I'd imagine it's a good watch.

There's a recommended reading list on Strobist and if you want more practical advice he's released a DVD. I've not seen it but it's 8 DVDs for about £80-£90 I think. I'd imagine it's a good watch.

The DVDs look good from the clip (10 minutes) that DH posted on youtube....

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cWjHqJv3M_I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cWjHqJv3M_I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

The only thing(s) putting me off are the high shipping charges to the UK and the chance of getting clobbered for import duty and vat as well :(

I can confirm that I ended up paying £130 after shipping and duty fpr the DVDs

I would say it was yes, there is a bit of repetition in the first 2 dvds but after that he quickly shows you most of the concepts and how they look, that is the best bit really. It is much easier to pick the stuff up in video form. The real gems are in the bonus material DVDs, that is where he shows what can be really done once you get the basics. He puts some people in really crappy locations and manges to pull some great photos out, which is pretty much what I wanted to be able to do.

Back