Critique Good or Bad?

For me, I'd say you've missed the subject. Cutting something in half just looks wrong most of the time.
The other-main- subject, the moon and flare, is lost in the composition.

It was difficult to get everything in view, behind me there was a row of houses, so couldn't go backwards. In front of the church was a parked car, which I had to clone out the roof.

Thanks for commenting, you are correct in what you say.

I quite like the church with the light and the tree in the foreground, but agree with Ken, that cutting part of the main subject off does rather ruin the photo. If it was me i would have removed the moon completely, just because it's distracting. It's not big enough to add anything to the shot.

Out of interest why did you go with ISO 400?

As far as composition - it may have been nice to see the church in full as I would assume that this would have been you main subsect? it looks well lit... may have been a better angle if you shuffled to the left a little

I think you should have had more of the building in frame.

Bit too much going on IMHO

Would have liked to have seen the church in full, with the trees and highlights.

As said the moon is a distraction from a nice (sic) photo of the church and trees.

Agree with Jason, a bit to the left would/might have got a clearer view of the church.

Nice colours,

Mj

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I'll have to keep nipping back in the hope the cars won't be there. Will also try a couple of different angles and see what happens :)

Out of interest why did you go with ISO 400?

This was taken hand held (leaning against my car), so the low shutter speed was fun. Did take a couple with higher ISO, but this seemed to work.

I don't have a problem incorporating the moon, it provides a nice counterpoint, but maybe try portrait to get more of the church, and a bit to the left so that you can see more of the steeple. The trees and the vertical make a funny shape.

Back