Good places to photograph dragonflies and damselflies in Manchester area...

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
Does anyone know any decent areas for photographing dragonflies. I live in Manchester and I am going to scout around Sale Water Park and surrounding area. I am just starting my journey in macrophotography and need to create a catalogue of areas to get up early and go to...I recently met up with a pro photographer and he took me out to his sites...they are all in Yorkshire, so I would like some closer to home.

Maybe a little late on this. I have visited Dunham Massey near Altrincham a few times recently and there have been quite a few dragonflies and butterflies about.
The dragons were quite easy to get up close to yesterday, the butterflies rather more skittish.
There are lots of other bugs in the fallen logs lying about plus the deer are photogenic and quite tame too:)

Thanks Yelkrub, I had thought about Dunham, but how early can you get in the park?

Daisy Nook near Failsworth was quite good when I lived there, along the canal and basin.

The park opens at 9am officially but if you park on the roadside at Dunham village or roadside at the Swan with two nicks pub you may get in earlier using the steps into the park.
Haven't been that early myself tbh.
I was near the lake with all the lily pads in near the corner of the deer sanctuary and there was a little "clearing" with a rotting piece of tree and there were a good number of dragonflies chasing each other about.
Happy hunting!

Thanks everyone for these tips. I was going out the previous 2 weeks but I ended up being ill! :( I will take note of these places and make sure I visit them...

Back