Good quality Photography Paper

Name
Christopher
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

A few of you may be aware of a post I created about selling images online - and I have decided to do it.

Well, I have another question related to that but this time it's about printing paper.

I would like to print the photos myself and have a new printer which produces good quality prints, although the paper I use is HP photo paper for general use. Now, if I was printing for customers, I would like to use printing paper which is good enough to look professional.

I have had a look at some reviews of paper but I would like some input from those who print their own photos as to what type of paper they use or would recommend.

Also - if the paper had the manufacturer's logo or name on the back of the paper, would that make it look unprofessional?

I would be selling the prints unframed too.
Any comments or advice welcome!

I use Canon paper
there's no problem with having a (decent) manufacturers logo on the back
I suspect Woolworth's or Dixons on the back wouldn't be the same somehow!

I use Ilford paper and its amazing, take a look on google.

i just bought some Epson prmium glossy 5 Star paper from jessops, its expensive from there ( 80p a sheet) but i had vouchers and nothing to spend them on.

its great paper matched with my epson printer but not the same quality as you would get from a digital photo printing company , but displays colours well

Thanks for the input everyone it's helpful :)

mmcp42 - that's ok, I won't use a paper with a minor name on the back :LOL:

POAH - thanks I will search for more information on that type of paper

Steveo - Funnily enough, that was one of the manufacturer's that I read a review on - scored quite highly if I remember!

DoubleT - how close would you say the paper comes to professional quality prints - near, or not so near?

A question for Steveo - I have had a look at Ilford and there are a few different types - which do you use?

Thanks for the input everyone it's helpful :)

mmcp42 - that's ok, I won't use a paper with a minor name on the back :LOL:

POAH - thanks I will search for more information on that type of paper

Steveo - Funnily enough, that was one of the manufacturer's that I read a review on - scored quite highly if I remember!

DoubleT - how close would you say the paper comes to professional quality prints - near, or not so near?

well i just got a set of glossy's back from jessops and they feel like proper photos, if you get what i mean.

but tbh theres not much in it, i was very impressed with the paper. just not the price.

although theres quite a few places on the net that do it for half the price

I use Epson paper in my Epson printer. I did use some Fuji paper the other week as I got some free in the post.... It was a disaster, I used the correct paper type setting for my printer as stated by Fuji on the packet, but there was an awful green tint to all the photos, no matter what I tried it was hopeless.

Went back to my Epson paper and no issues.

i use Kirkland paper. used both this and Epson Premium glossy and you cant tell a difference

£15 for 20 sheets of epson or 150 sheets for £12 i think it is Kirkland. the qquality is a second to none and the only paper i will use in the future

My recommendation would be to use an online print service instead, costs will be lower & print quality probably slightly better, saves quite a lot of hassle too, have a look at these guys as a possible supplier - bet you can't print an 18x12 yourself for £1 !!

http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/index.cfm

simon

ive used photobox a few times, but the photos come out dull,

my most recent ones were very dull and lacked saturation.

i dont know why this is??

I use either Canon paper or Ilford Galerie in my (Canon) printers. I use genuine inks and have no problems with print longevity (behind glass) or colour rendition.

(Canon S820 and iX4000)

Thanks for the input everyone - if I print myself I think I may choose Ilford, as the feedback on here and other reviews seems to be good.

My first thought was to use an online printer service but when I have an order, I would like to turn it around as quickly as possible and I thought sending off a photo to be printed and waiting for it to arrive back would take longer than I would like.

Thanks again for the input (y)

Also, without starting another thread, I was wondering about postage of the prints.
I was thinking of using those 'hard backed' envelopes with the 'do not bend' on (if you know the ones I mean?).

Is this choice sensible? and what other alternatives could I use?

I was thinking of using those 'hard backed' envelopes with the 'do not bend' on

Ah yes, or to translate in to Royal Mail postman speak...

"Please bend like **** and ram through the letterbox!"

I would personally never sell a print from a paper that is not cotton bassed. The main reason is that so many of the plastic coated papers are so prone to fading. I have had prints that were on Ilford paper (smooth pearl) fade in one year, same with cannon paper. Admittedly this was with dye bassed printers. (Just imagine if a customer purchased a print from you that faded after two-three years).

So The minimum I would go is to use a Pigment bassed printer with a fiber paper.

The kind of paper would really depend on you. Matt or fextured papers tend to be nicer with BW prints. They also have the added benifit of being even less prone to fading in direct light. Some of the best in this range include Hanemuhle photo rag, Innova cotton, and Hanemuhle bamboo. A bit cheaper might be the Permajet range, who make some very nice fine art papers that are quite good, but not as expensive.

As for gloss papers, you should look at Baryta bassed papers by Harman or Hanemuhle. These will give you the feel and look of treditional photo paper with the gloss finish. Gloss papers are generally better for colour prints, as they tend to have some problems with bronzing for BW.

Ah yes, or to translate in to Royal Mail postman speak...

"Please bend like **** and ram through the letterbox!"

:LOL: unfortunately that is true - same with 'fragile'

I would personally never sell a print from a paper that is not cotton bassed. The main reason is that so many of the plastic coated papers are so prone to fading. I have had prints that were on Ilford paper (smooth pearl) fade in one year, same with cannon paper. Admittedly this was with dye bassed printers. (Just imagine if a customer purchased a print from you that faded after two-three years).

So The minimum I would go is to use a Pigment bassed printer with a fiber paper.

The kind of paper would really depend on you. Matt or fextured papers tend to be nicer with BW prints. They also have the added benifit of being even less prone to fading in direct light. Some of the best in this range include Hanemuhle photo rag, Innova cotton, and Hanemuhle bamboo. A bit cheaper might be the Permajet range, who make some very nice fine art papers that are quite good, but not as expensive.

As for gloss papers, you should look at Baryta bassed papers by Harman or Hanemuhle. These will give you the feel and look of treditional photo paper with the gloss finish. Gloss papers are generally better for colour prints, as they tend to have some problems with bronzing for BW.

Thanks for your post, it's very helpful :)

I use Illford Gallery paper and the results are stunning. As for posting I agree with the "ram it through the letterbox" theory so to counteract this I always use a 'signed for' service to ensure the door has to be knocked and the item handed over in person.

Steve

A question for Steveo - I have had a look at Ilford and there are a few different types - which do you use?

Sorry mate only just seen this, I use the the Galerie Smooth Pearl paper Clicky

I have always used Epson printers and have, in the past, tried a variety of different papers and inks. Got OK results with some, terrible results with others.
A guy at work who is heavily into his digital photography and prints quite a bit of his work gave me the advice that for the best results, whatever the make of printer, it's best to stick with the manufacturers inks and papers.
I switched to using Epsons own shortly after that and have never had any problems whatsoever.

Baggs - thanks, I will use that service now I think :LOL:

Steveo - no problem, thanks for the link (y)

Smiffy - Thanks for the tip (y)

Back