Good tripod/rig for car videos?

Name
Lauren
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm looking to upgrade my camera (Canon 500D) to the Canon 7D, although I'm looking to mainly photograph I'd like to look into the video options as well.

I'm into my automotive photography, as I've mentioned before I'm a massive car enthusiast so that's all I ever really use the camera for. I'd like to start creating short videos / movies of things like car shows / meets or on specific cars in general - hopefully that makes sense!

Looking at tripods/rigs I'm not entirely sure what the best option would be here, does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I want to walk around the show capturing coverage so I don't really want anything to big or heavy.. likewise I'm going to want to pan smoothly up / around cars… any ideas on what would be best to use?

Thanks in advance!

Lauren

Ah - so that's the correct name for them! Thanks for that, I'll have a look on Google. Any recommendations as to what a good one / style would be?

steadicam tech is developing quite quickly now. The new gyroscopic gimbal types the one to look out for - such as the MoVi but there are cheaper alternatives coming.

The traditional pro choice is steadicam pilot, you can look at something like the Steadicam Merlin or Glidecams but I believe they start to feel heavy after a short while.

Never really liked shoulder rigs - you're a bit limited in terms of perspectives especially when walking around (unless you can walk on your knees!).

If you don't have a video monopod thats probably the first thing I'd look at.

Cheers for the info guys, I'll have a look :) don't have a huge budget for one as it is just a hobby, a couple hundred maybe

Lauren

Back