Goodwood FOS lens suggestion

Edit My Images
No
Hello all :)

I am attending the Goodwood FOS next weekend and am looking to rent a telephoto lens.

I am taking along my 7D mk2 with the 24-105 F4L for walking around the pit but for the hill climb and track, I am thinking 105 might be a bit short so looking at getting the 70-200.

I rented a 70-200 F2.8 IS II many moons ago and took some brilliant photos but it was very heavy. I'm thinking of renting the F4 II IS instead. Lighter, smaller etc.

The F4 is £80 for the rental period, the F2.8 is £97, not a big difference, which would you go for? My plan is to arrive as early as possible and spend an entire day there so I am thinking the F4 as it will be easier to lug around but worried I may loose out on some image quality over the F2.8, or am I being stupid?

Looking for some advice please :D

I took my 28-70, 70-200 & 300mm
Got most of my best shots with the 300mm. Think I only used the 70-200 a couple of times.

& get a 2.8mm - the extra stop & speed of lens makes them sing in this event.

What shots are you after - The static displays you are up close and personal - the moving events need the depth of field, fast tracking & reach of a great quality lens. Weight is an entirely subjective issue.

For reach:
I'd probably go with a 70-200mm with an 1.4X in case you need the extra reach.
Alternatively a 300mm f2.8 if you don't mind carrying the weight.

the best option if I could choose whatever would be a sigma 120-300mm f2.8 with TCs.

for static displays:
an UWA and "normal" lens

Thanks guys. Happy with the 70-200 because my previous lens was a Canon 18-200 that did the trick however, I am just curious if the F2.8 will produce that much better quality images over the F4 for the extra weight it is for an entire day of walking around Goodwood.

Back